How to add application as a service in Vail? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to do this? I can't find a resource kit for 2008.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 7:37 PM

Answers

• I have discovered the answer.

I installed RK Tools and used anyserviceinstaller application available here: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/8566-any-service-installer/

You must run Anyserviceinstaller.exe as administrator if like me you are installing the service under a different user account.

Once done the service will not be working. Bizarrely you have to go into the Services viewer, right click, properties and re-enter the password in both fields. Restart the service and it works.

• Marked as answer by joewalch Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:38 PM

All replies

• Do you want to elaborate a little more what you intend to do? There is an SDK available for download that you can use to build add-ins and extensions to the product.

-Bodhi

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Nothing that complex. I just want WHS to run uTorrent as a service when WHS boots up.
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:00 AM
  • There is no Windows Server 2008 Resource Kit, as far as I know.

srvany.exe from the Server 2003 resource kit won't work correctly on Windows Server 2008, from what I understand, but there are other tools that can also host an arbitrary program as a service. You might try one or more of them. Note, however, that hosting an arbitrary program as a service can create security and stability issues; anything you want to run as a service really should be written to run as a service.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Any ideas what a novice (me!) can use to do this?
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:43 PM
  • I have discovered the answer.

I installed RK Tools and used anyserviceinstaller application available here: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/8566-any-service-installer/

You must run Anyserviceinstaller.exe as administrator if like me you are installing the service under a different user account.

Once done the service will not be working. Bizarrely you have to go into the Services viewer, right click, properties and re-enter the password in both fields. Restart the service and it works.

• Marked as answer by joewalch Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:38 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:38 PM