CRM 2011 Unmanaged / Managed Solutions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi have a CRM organisation with two solutions: The default (unmanaged solution) and a second solution (managed).

I would like to remove some of the entities from the managed solution but CRM will not let me - is there any way around this?

Also If I was export my current customisations and import it into a new organisation, the import fails and reports components from the managed solution are missing - to get around this I need to import the managed solution first and then import the unmanaged solution - this seems absolutely ridiculous to me - from now on any customisations I need to export from my current organisation into a new organisation (say for testing) I'll have to import the manage solution first - what happens if I lost the solution (*.zip) file,  this would mean I couldn't import the customisations into the new organisation.

Friday, April 1, 2011 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hi

This is the inherent nature of the managed / unmanaged solution. The intention of this is that in case you ahve purchased the managed solution, you would not be able to change the customizations (you can still customize the entities in the soultions, if they are marked as customiations, but in a commercial solution very few leeway would be given). So, given the purpose and intention of soltuion, it works.

Now coming to your case, have you or somebody in your team developped the solution. If so, then you need to get the unmanaged copy of that code, to be able to remove selective entities from it. the rule to remember is, whenever you export solution, make sure you export both the managed and unmanaged solutions.

Solutions work in layers. You need to start with the very first one and all other solutions get built on it. When you need to import into another instance, you need to import in the same order otherwise, the latest solution can over-ride the solutions imported earlier. Also note you cannot mix unmanaged and managed solution with the same name, even if the version numers are different.

Other than hacking the solution XMl files, there is no straight forward way out for your problem.

Thanks and Regards

AniMandal

http://xrmadventures.wordpress.com/

• Proposed as answer by AniMandal Friday, April 1, 2011 8:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Saturday, April 2, 2011 7:52 PM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Check the blog item below for tips on using managed and unmanaged solutions, one important tip is to always have an unmanaged solution copy (even if it's a locally stored zip file) of your managed solutions. Full blog post: http://www.resultondemand.nl/support/blog/post/Tips-in-using-managed-and-unmanaged-solutions-in-CRM-2011-(MSCRM-2011).aspx
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 2:48 PM

All replies

• Hi

This is the inherent nature of the managed / unmanaged solution. The intention of this is that in case you ahve purchased the managed solution, you would not be able to change the customizations (you can still customize the entities in the soultions, if they are marked as customiations, but in a commercial solution very few leeway would be given). So, given the purpose and intention of soltuion, it works.

Now coming to your case, have you or somebody in your team developped the solution. If so, then you need to get the unmanaged copy of that code, to be able to remove selective entities from it. the rule to remember is, whenever you export solution, make sure you export both the managed and unmanaged solutions.

Solutions work in layers. You need to start with the very first one and all other solutions get built on it. When you need to import into another instance, you need to import in the same order otherwise, the latest solution can over-ride the solutions imported earlier. Also note you cannot mix unmanaged and managed solution with the same name, even if the version numers are different.

Other than hacking the solution XMl files, there is no straight forward way out for your problem.

Thanks and Regards

AniMandal

http://xrmadventures.wordpress.com/

• Proposed as answer by AniMandal Friday, April 1, 2011 8:58 PM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Check the blog item below for tips on using managed and unmanaged solutions, one important tip is to always have an unmanaged solution copy (even if it's a locally stored zip file) of your managed solutions. Full blog post: http://www.resultondemand.nl/support/blog/post/Tips-in-using-managed-and-unmanaged-solutions-in-CRM-2011-(MSCRM-2011).aspx
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Here is another usful post pointing out the differences between managed and unmanaged solutions and the best practices:

http://gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.ca/2012/01/managed-or-unmanaged-solutions-in-crm.html

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Saturday, May 5, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Can The UnManaged Solution will be uninstalled.  I Need to back up some of the entities in the managed solutions. can we keep back p. 
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:21 PM
  • you'll need to go back to the source of the managed solution for the backup.  If that is not an option, then you can take a full backup of the database prior to deleting the managed solution.

Regards, Donna

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Someone gave you a solution-A, which you installed and built something extra on top of it(solution-B). Now you want to give your solution-B to someone else and ensure it works. This needs that solution-A is preinstalled in target environment before your solution gets installed.

Let us understand why it is not rediculous: the person who wrote solution-A, was smart enough to release only managed solution in market so that anyone using it to build extra functionality, could not claim the whole work as his own. Any such extended solution will need installation of solution-A giving the original developer/company its due credit/revenue.

If you don't want this restriction, get/purchase the unmanaged solution-A from the developer or do not use its content(entity/form/webresource/plugin/etc.) and create independent solution of your own and be sure to provide only managed solutions so that your work is not again claimed by someone else in future!

- Arvind

Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:08 AM
  • Unstalling unmanaged solution won't do anything other than just removing the solution record. All components(entities/forms/workflows/plugins/etc.) will still be present in the system which were installed during the installation of that unmanaged solution.

There is no way to include components of a managed solution into any other solution for backup or anythign else. The moment you try to restore your backup, it will ask for the original managed solution. This is by design. If you don't have the unmanaged copy of managed solution, there is no way to use any of its components without having the managed solution in the environment.

- Arvind

Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:17 AM
  • I didn't understand that as his question.  I think he meant to say he wants to uninstall the managed solution.  If that is true, he can first take a complete backup of the database and then uninstall the managed solution.  He can restore the database at a later time without the need to install the managed solution as it will still be present in the backup.

I am not going  to assume that he is trying to hijack the managed solution but rather that he is asking for a way to keep a reference to some of the entities.  If the goal is to keep a reference to the managed solution, then he can take a full backup of the db, prior to removing the managed solution and restore that backup when needed to reference the entities.  

If my assumption is incorrect and he wants the entities to move them to another environement, then he would have to build them from scratch or go back to the source of the managed solution (source = solution owner) and ask that owner if they would be willing to export the entities he wants as an unmanaged solution and give them to him.

Cheers

Regards, Donna

Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:04 PM