MS Money 2004 Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• We just downloaded Windows 10.  When I try to open MS Money, I get a window that pops up and says, "Money requires Internet Explorer 6 to function properly.  Please reinstall Internet Explorer 6 so these components can be added."

Is it that simple to download or reinstall Internet Explorer 6?  How will that impact the rest of my system?  Is there another work around?

Thanks in advance.  Much appreciated.

-K.C.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 3:11 AM

All replies

• This error happened with the first production release of Windows 10.  I suggest that you use Windows update to apply the latest updates.  This should allow Money to run.  BTW, the error message is misleading.  The problem is not a lack of IE6.

Also, to avoid other problems, if you change to US Money Sunset you will need to replace your mnyob99.dll with a patched version.  See the first "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Wednesday, September 2, 2015 3:47 AM typo
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 3:45 AM
  • Bill,

Thank you for your reply.  If you would be so kind, consider computers as a foreign language for me.  When you say "use Windows update", what exactly does that mean?  What steps would I take to accomplish this.  Apologies for being needy.  :)

-K.C.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 4:04 AM
  • Why not goggle "windows update" and get answers a lot faster 
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Try:

Go to Start Image of Start button, then Settings  > Update & security > Windows Update

Bill Becker

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 1:12 PM
  • Bill, thanks to you for your help.  Unfortunately, Windows 10 was causing additional issues on our laptop so we had to uninstall.  I appreciate your tact and expertise!
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:33 AM
  • What I have found is you need to download Money Sunset Edition, I had troubles getting it to install, but found a fix in The Sunset forum involving a registry mod.

After you get Sunset running, restore a backup.

Have had a small hiccup, but we will wait and see.

Microsoft should be helping us dedicated MsMoney users, but support seems to be lacking.

Bad Microsoft!

Friday, September 11, 2015 12:50 AM
  • Hello Bill

I have the patched dll but can't find the original to replace!

Do have a typical drive path I could look for?

Kind regards

iFarrel

Saturday, September 12, 2015 11:27 AM
  • It is likely in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus.  For details on how to find it see:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/13ab99ea-b1cb-4b36-b4b2-78c0f3d63873/microsoft-money-windows-10-and-importing-an-ofx-file?forum=money

The seventh post in that thread has instructions on locating the mnyob99.dll file.  As you will see, you need to change you folder options to make hidden files and system file visible.

Let us know if this helps.

Bill Becker

Saturday, September 12, 2015 1:45 PM
  • Hello Bill

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think about hidden files!

Found the dll, replaced it but the app still won't open my Money 2004 file.

Open the app, File/Restore Backup, asks for a location for the new restored file, stars, requests password, starts covering file and then stops and states "Money can't open this file because it was created using a different version of Money.

Any ideas/guidance/tips welcome!

Kind regards

iFarrel

Saturday, September 12, 2015 6:09 PM
  • I think that you have a different issue than the one that started this thread.  Are you by any chance in the UK?  Did you install Money from a disk after you moved to Windows 10?  If so, then you will actually have Money UK 2005 and that needs an online update to open your current file.  That servers that furnished that update are gone, but you can download a Money 2005 UK installation file that has the update.  See the second "sticky" in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

If this isn't you situation, post back with the actual version number of your Money 2004 program and the version of Windows that you are running.

BTW, it appears that only US Money versions 2006, 2007, and Sunset require the replacement of mnyob99.dll.  It's not needed for Money 2005 UK.

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Sunday, September 13, 2015 2:09 AM
    Saturday, September 12, 2015 9:00 PM
  • Right click your Start icon, click on Run type in regedit, now click on OK, then Yes

Open this Registry Key:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]

Goto "Version Vector"

Left click on Version, select Modify and enter 9.11.10240.0 in the form field

Money will now operate as before.

• Edited by Hotfire1200 Saturday, September 12, 2015 10:31 PM
    Saturday, September 12, 2015 10:30 PM
  • Hello Bill

I've had Money 2004 (installed from original CD) on my laptop through the incarnations of Windows, it was working fine until I updated to Windows 10, then I got the "Missing IE6" error.

Looking on forums, I thought upgrading to Sunset was probably a better option to hacking the registry to get Money 2004 working.

Now it seems, for us in the UK (good deduction by the way) a UK version of Money 2005 is the last UK localised release and most up to date we can get. The link above worked fine and after a little testing, it seems to have retained the functionality I need.

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated.

Kind regards

iFArrel

Saturday, September 12, 2015 10:37 PM
  • For 64 bit  version of Windows 10

Right click your Start icon, click on Run type in regedit, now click on OK, then Yes

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]

Goto "Version Vector"

Money will now operate as before.

For 32 bit version of Windows 10

Right click your Start icon, click on Run type in regedit, now click on OK, then Yes

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]

Saturday, September 12, 2015 10:44 PM
  • This was such an excellent program! So much so, in fact, that there simply ISN'T a suitable replacement! I have tried using (Quicken, GnuCash and other alternatives.) Even with my college accounting classes and working for years in the accounting fiel, I had trouble trying to make sensible use of them! Money is just so easy! It's so intuitive that I have never had to use the Help screens! Why couldn't MS have sold it to some 3rd party to maintain and update? It isn't as if they would be competing with a MS product.  So far I have been able to easily install it on my Vista system and my old (now dead) 8.1 laptop, and it runs just fine. The only part that is limited is some of the online stuff. I am still able to download my banking information, using the OFX format. I never used the stock trading, etc features, anyway. Using the free sunset version allows you to use your files from the older versions of Money. I think the instructions are available from MS. There is a consumer version and a small business version, but I have never been ablt to detect any appreciable difference between them. You may get a note about your files if you try to open them from a different version, but it WILL import them.

I haven't really NEEDED any upgrades for mine, but is there any company out there willing to take on the task of maintaining this wonderful program? I simply do not unerstand MS's logic in abandoning it! Normally, they do this when they have  NEW, whizbang replacement to offer us! 

Now, I'm off to download and install Money Sunset Business on my new Win 10 laptop! Wish me luck!   

Bob

Thursday, January 14, 2016 3:07 PM
  • I'm sure that the users of this forum agree with you.  Money is a very capable program and still works just fine.  When you install US Money Sunset on Windows 10, be sure to replace your mnyob99.dll file as described in the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Bill Becker

Thursday, January 14, 2016 5:30 PM