Enterprise Edition Pool Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am new to OCS technology and wanted some clarification with regards to supported pool topology.

Would the following be supported?

We have 2 geographic sites - London and Sheffield with an equal number of staff split across them.
    We run a single AD domain and there is a 100MBit link between the sites.

Planning to run IM and App sharing - video may coming in 2 years time.

So with that in mind can you have -

1) 2 OCS2007 Enterprise servers (1 on each site) sitting in their own Pools without a Hardware Load Balancer

2) With both connected to separate SQL databases or 2 instances on 1 SQL box.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike

As you mentioned I think we will just go for 1 EE OCS box with a SQL cluster on one site as Microsoft supportability is important to our organisation.  Also in a DR situation I think this will be a far easier option then moving users, databases and amending DNS records etc.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Dhiren

Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:48 AM

All replies

• Everything is supported unless you put SQL in a separate location (you mentioned running both on the same SQL server).  Assuming that your connection has low latency there would be no technical problem, but this scenario hasn't made it into Microsoft's testing matrix yet.  As a result you'll need to have a local SQL server for both pools.

One thing to keep in mind is that you'll have to point your internal SRV record to one server or the other.  If you are confident about your connection then this won't be a problem, but if you lose connectivity between the sites then one of them won't be able to login without some manual intervention.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:08 PM
  • Thanks Mike

Our WAN latency is about 6-10ms so it is relatively low - I was planning to run 2 instances on one SQL box? But as you mention I am not sure if this has been tested by MS?

Loss of connectivity between sites is again relevantly low as we have two routes into both sites. But this has just got me thinking about loss of one pool and how easy would it be to transfer users over to the other pool + their database records?

The main reason for this design was to spread the load and add some resilience without a hardware load balancer.  The alternative option is to have 1 OCS EE pool and clustered SQL box as we only want to support IM and App sharing for 3500 users but this puts every thing in one basket.  What is your view on this?

Thanks 

Dhiren

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:26 AM
  • To be quite honest, if you're going to run both pools on the same SQL box it would be better just to put everything in the same pool and cluster the SQL backend across the WAN.  If you run two pools and one goes down, you'll have to either restore the relevant databases to another location or force a move of the users, which will result in lost contact data.

Unfortunately I have to tell you again that this is not supported simply because it's never been included in the testing criteria (despite a number of customers that desire to use this configuration).  I can also tell you that I've deployed this for a customer who was more interested in business continuity than Microsoft's support and it works beautifully.  We can talk offline if you want to get into the details.  My e-mail address is below.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:53 PM
  • Hi Mike

As you mentioned I think we will just go for 1 EE OCS box with a SQL cluster on one site as Microsoft supportability is important to our organisation.  Also in a DR situation I think this will be a far easier option then moving users, databases and amending DNS records etc.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Dhiren

Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:48 AM