Restoring a folder?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I need to restore a folder, but can't figure out how to do it. I don't know the names of the files in the folder, but i know exactly which folder i want to restore.  But if i type the name of the folder, i only get the FILES with that name, not all files in the folder. If i look at where the backup is stored, i see a lot of zip files but it seems undoable since my directory is spread all over these files

Don't tell me i'm outa luck here.. I really made sureg i made my backups..

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

one option is to search for *.* , it will list all the files in your backup. Then you can sort this list on folder, by clicking on the folder column, which is the third column in the list box. After that you can select all files one by one in that folder which you want to restore. Hope this will solve your issue.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:48 AM
  •  

Hi,

Smart, i didn't think of that!  Also because typing *.* in a restore program frightens me a bit.

Tried it and it worked.  

However, the userinterface gets in the way, so for anyone encountering the same, this was my workaround:

Problem 1: You can't read the directoryname because the field is to small

solution:    

You can open it more, and after you have done that you can use a slider at the bottom to open it even further. Repeating that a few times solved this one.

Problem 2: Now that i can read the foldername i cant reach the checkbox, and vice versa

solution:

Search for the first occurrence of the FOLDER, then shift to the left, and select the NAME.

Search for the last occurrence of the FOLDER, then shift to the left, and Shift-select the NAME

This gets you all the files selected you need: Now you can check the ceckbox, et voila, you're done.

Although the procedure is a bit error prone (selecting files whose name you can't see, or seeing the folders without seeing if you selected it), at least it saves the day.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:32 PM

All replies

• I have not done a restore recently with OneCare, but I believe that you have the ability to perform a custom restore and select the specific files and folders you wish to restore, though the interface may be less than desirable - it used to be. You should get a windows with the folder structure of your backup set that you can navigate similar to Windows Explorer and check the files you wish to restore.

-steve

Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:31 AM
  • I have saved myself, but not though OneCare i'm affraid.

Just can not do a restore of a directory, it seems. One might be able to guess my opinions about the product now.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say in your post, but i'm not a native english speaker. Are you suggesting a full restore to a different disk and then get the directory from there?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 12:47 PM
  • No, I am suggesting that you do have the ability to select the files and folders you wish to restore by using the restore wizard.

-steve

Monday, November 26, 2007 8:03 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Although my problem is no longer urgent, i appreciate the help as i may be in the same situation again someday.

My version is in dutch, so maybe i am not looking at the right place, but when i fire up onecare with the green icon, choose restore, from the latest backup, tell it i want to specify what is to be restored ("Zoeken naar bestanden die hersteld meoten worden" in dutch), then i can only type in a filename (with wildcharts) but i can not type in the name of a folder. There is only one textbox and that takes filenames _only_. Any tricks like directory\* won't fool it, it does not take directory names.

I am probably missing something very obvious.. but i just can't find the way to do it.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:44 AM
  • I sent an email to the Program Manager for backup asking for clarification, so I hope to be able to confirm soon (or apologize for not paying attention to backup and restore more!).

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

one option is to search for *.* , it will list all the files in your backup. Then you can sort this list on folder, by clicking on the folder column, which is the third column in the list box. After that you can select all files one by one in that folder which you want to restore. Hope this will solve your issue.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 10:48 AM
  •  

Hi,

Smart, i didn't think of that!  Also because typing *.* in a restore program frightens me a bit.

Tried it and it worked.  

However, the userinterface gets in the way, so for anyone encountering the same, this was my workaround:

Problem 1: You can't read the directoryname because the field is to small

solution:    

You can open it more, and after you have done that you can use a slider at the bottom to open it even further. Repeating that a few times solved this one.

Problem 2: Now that i can read the foldername i cant reach the checkbox, and vice versa

solution:

Search for the first occurrence of the FOLDER, then shift to the left, and select the NAME.

Search for the last occurrence of the FOLDER, then shift to the left, and Shift-select the NAME

This gets you all the files selected you need: Now you can check the ceckbox, et voila, you're done.

Although the procedure is a bit error prone (selecting files whose name you can't see, or seeing the folders without seeing if you selected it), at least it saves the day.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:32 PM
  • I'm glad that you found the current painful workaround. Thanks to P. for posting the basic solution.

I did hear back from the Program Manager for Backup and was advised of the same workaround, but this is my first chance to get back to this thread. He indicated that they are aware that the workaround is painful and that they are looking at improving the user experience. He did note that the Online Photo Backup (extra cost option) includes the option to restore by folder, so it is possible that this option and interface will make it to the regular restore process in a future update.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:12 PM