Incomplete backup on one volume of WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had a faulty USB cable on a Toshiba external 2T hard drive I use for backups on WHS 2011. All of my backups stopped. I tried a new 5T HD, but ran into the 2T limitation for backups. I replaced the cable, reformatted, and reinstalled the 2T drive, since I suspected corruption due to the bad cable.

Back in business, or so I thought. I have three drives, one for the system files, one for data, and one to hold the client backups. It is the largest is the client BU volume, and has about 400Mb of space used. The system and data volumes BU in just a few minutes, but the larger client BU volume seems to get slower and slower, until it runs into the next scheduled BU (only one scheduled per day). The result is an incomplete BU.

I've run the check and repair utility in WHS 2011. It finds nothing wrong, and all disks appears to be "healthy." Only about 650Mb is needed for backup, and the 2T drive shows about 1,200MB of free space.

I've seen similar problems on the forum, but I never see a resolution. Help!

Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Metalplane,

Please use the Chkdsk command to check status of the disk.

-->I replaced the cable, reformatted, and reinstalled the 2T drive

I noticed that you had reformatted and reinstalled the 2T drive. Did you mean that still encounter the issue when run the next backup? Please check Event log file if find more relevant events or errors. Please also follow the path: %programdata%\microsoft\windows server\logs and check backup log file if find more clues.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Friday, April 3, 2015 5:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:25 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 5:31 AM
  • Hi,

--> I tried a new 5T HD, but ran into the 2T limitation for backups.

This is unlikely as there is no 2TB limitation on the size of the destination/Backup HDD (it is a very misunderstood limitation and it relates to the size of individual volumes or partitions. One can backup more than one such volume and hence more than 2TB in total).

If your Server Backups still have issues then I would also suggest to have a look at Event Viewer, preferably within an hour of a backup failure, and look for issues with Disk, atapi or VSS.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Friday, April 3, 2015 5:58 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Metalplane,

Please use the Chkdsk command to check status of the disk.

-->I replaced the cable, reformatted, and reinstalled the 2T drive

I noticed that you had reformatted and reinstalled the 2T drive. Did you mean that still encounter the issue when run the next backup? Please check Event log file if find more relevant events or errors. Please also follow the path: %programdata%\microsoft\windows server\logs and check backup log file if find more clues.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Friday, April 3, 2015 5:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:25 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 5:31 AM
  • Hi,

--> I tried a new 5T HD, but ran into the 2T limitation for backups.

This is unlikely as there is no 2TB limitation on the size of the destination/Backup HDD (it is a very misunderstood limitation and it relates to the size of individual volumes or partitions. One can backup more than one such volume and hence more than 2TB in total).

If your Server Backups still have issues then I would also suggest to have a look at Event Viewer, preferably within an hour of a backup failure, and look for issues with Disk, atapi or VSS.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Friday, April 3, 2015 5:58 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 7:51 AM