Backup of Microsft Money RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem restoring Microsoft Money.

The problem seems to have started when I uninstalled Autoroute 2005 as I'd never used it. After that I couldn't open Money.

I've unstalled and reinstalled a couple of times using the original disk and each time I try to restore the backup I'm asked for my password, which I enter (same one for 10 years so not likely to forget it), and get this message;

Money cannot locate ‘C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\Money\My Money’ or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected.

If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent backup file.

If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other application and click OK to try again.

I've tried restoring from the last back up on the computer (.mny) and a copy of the USB back up that I saved to the desktop (.mbf). I'm reluctant to do anything with the USB itself in case that is the only unchanged version I have left.

I'm at a loss what to try next but don't want to lose 10 years of data. 

Sunday, July 10, 2011 5:20 PM

All replies

• Which version, and country, of MS Money were you using?

Which version of Windows are you using?

Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Money cannot locate ‘C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\Money\My Money’ or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected.

I've tried restoring from the last back up on the computer (.mny) and a copy of the USB back up that I saved to the desktop (.mbf). 

You can't "restore" a .MNY file, you can only Open it.

Try copying the .MNY file to your Desktop and double-clicking on it to open it. Alternately, try changing the restore location for restoring from the .MBF to your Desktop. Report if either works.

If somewhere along the way you change from WinXP to something newer, try paths like c:\users\...

Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Thanks for the response banjomike. I'm using 14.0.100.730 in the UK with Windows XP

Thanks for the advice Dick. I've both of those without success.

Bob
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:24 PM
  • Read the other threads in this forum re: Money 2005 and 1105. You'll find links to find what you need....

Jim

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Read the other threads here re: Money 2005 and 1105. You'll find links to download what you need.....

Jim

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:26 PM
  • What can I say Jim, you're a star. From that thread I found this link http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915 and now I'm up and running. Albeight with about 7 weeks of data to enter!

Thanks.

Bob
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:01 PM