XBOX 360 Media Centre Connecter RRS feed

• Question

• Any chance the xbox 360 media centre will work with WHS after this update?

Something that's been sorely missing, considering the xbox is being targeted as the media hub of the household.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 12:31 PM

Answers

It already works (even without Power Pack 3).  You just need to have a Media Center PC in your household.  If you are asking will the 2 work directly with each other (in other words, no MC PC required), no, you still need a MC PC.  And since the MC code is not in the underlying OS (Server 2003), I wouldn't expect that to ever change (at least in this version of WHS).

Something that's been sorely missing, considering the xbox is being targeted as the media hub of the household.

Monday, August 24, 2009 7:38 PM

All replies

It already works (even without Power Pack 3).  You just need to have a Media Center PC in your household.  If you are asking will the 2 work directly with each other (in other words, no MC PC required), no, you still need a MC PC.  And since the MC code is not in the underlying OS (Server 2003), I wouldn't expect that to ever change (at least in this version of WHS).

Monday, August 24, 2009 7:38 PM
  • I have to agree with Raystlin that Xbox is missing some key components to work with WHS to be a media hub.  Xbox has to support more than just WMA/WMV video formats.  Microsoft would be well served to create a WHS addin to stream multiple video formats to Xbox in WMA and add the video sizing on the Xbox side.  If they don't the next gen of TV's like Samsung's gen 8 will use DNLA and will bypass Xbox altogether.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:32 PM
  • I use a free programme called tversity and it converts and streams all files to the xbox on the flu. really good
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:49 PM
  • I was hoping to do this also, I bought a TV tuner so I can stream TV to the Xbox 360. But I have a netbook and the tuner has to hook up to it for me to watch TV on the Xbox. I was hoping to hook it up to the home server instead. I was disappointed to see that I can't do that yet.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 4:27 PM
  • I agree, I think the Xbox360 is somewhat of a failure in regards to being a media center.  I purchased the 360 thinking it would be this great device for sharing media (and Halo 3) and it has been nothing but days of trying to see what works best with what on a limited budget.  I originally and still use a modified xbox running XBMC and personnaly feel that setup rocks over the 360.  I can do so much more with the plain old xbox and without having to run other boxes or OS's (ie..twonky...TVersity...Home server).  I like MS Home Server but it is still slow and has many limitation with the 360.  (plus who wants to buy another server.  Twonky is just that a bit tweaky....but it lets me use a NAS instead of a complete server.  TVersity works well but has to use another system and bogs down my resources on that box.  Just my 2 cents worth. 
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:37 PM