WHS Console or Connector problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All... strange problem here...

I just set up a WHS for a client, all was working well.

Now, all of a sudden, we can't seem to login to the console from a client system. The icon is green, we can access shares without problem, we can even RDP in and run the console on the Server Desktop, but any attempt to run the console from a client desktop fails, with an "unable to contact server" error.

Otherwise, the connector software seems to be working properly. Backups happen as expected, network health warnings are displayed, but we are unable to login to the console from either of the connected workstations. I decided to uninstall and re-install the connector software from the \software\ share on the server. The software installs to the point where it asks for the password (doesn't that mean it has found the server) and then gives an "action cannot be completed at this time" error. So now we are unable to re-install the connector software on that PC.

Rebooting all, and "resetting" the console made no difference (done early in the process and again later while banging head on wall) and I'm now at a loss to figure out what's going on, especially where it was working last week and nothing has changed. And also when everything else seems to be working such as backups and health warnings, and even remote access is working.

Any idea what i might be missing here?

TIA for all the help.

JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS

Friday, March 13, 2009 9:21 PM

Answers

• WHS Firewall problem confirmed.

Somehow, the exceptions for ports 55000 and 56000 were missing from Windows Firewall. Once I recreated them, I could login to the console again.

Very strange, I don't remember doing anything to the firewall - one minute it was working, next time it wouldn't let me log into the console from any workstation.

Solved, anyway.

JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS
    • Marked as answer by PCMechanix Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:37 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:37 PM

All replies

• PCMechanix said:

Hi All... strange problem here...

I just set up a WHS for a client, all was working well.

Now, all of a sudden, we can't seem to login to the console from a client system. The icon is green, we can access shares without problem, we can even RDP in and run the console on the Server Desktop, but any attempt to run the console from a client desktop fails, with an "unable to contact server" error.

Otherwise, the connector software seems to be working properly. Backups happen as expected, network health warnings are displayed, but we are unable to login to the console from either of the connected workstations. I decided to uninstall and re-install the connector software from the \software\ share on the server. The software installs to the point where it asks for the password (doesn't that mean it has found the server) and then gives an "action cannot be completed at this time" error. So now we are unable to re-install the connector software on that PC.

Rebooting all, and "resetting" the console made no difference (done early in the process and again later while banging head on wall) and I'm now at a loss to figure out what's going on, especially where it was working last week and nothing has changed. And also when everything else seems to be working such as backups and health warnings, and even remote access is working.

Any idea what i might be missing here?

TIA for all the help.

JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS

Have you tried pinging the server, both by name and by IP address?  If so, do they both work?
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:07 AM
  • I will have to wait till monday before I can go back and try again. I didn't seem to be having any connectivity problems, as I mentioned i could rdp in, and backups also ran, from the same system at the same time i cant get into the console.
    I need to revisit the ip configuration - i had a time getting the remote access to work, wound up swapping out the router. It's all working now, but there may be something in there that I changed and need to change back.
    Any other suggestions for me to try?
    Thx for your help
    jb
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:11 PM
  • Yes, I could ping by ip and by name. It turned out to be a WHS firewall problem, stranger still since I never changed anything in the Firewall. I'm comparing it to mine, and plan to go back out there and hopefully resolve the issue completely. Will post again with final results.

jb
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:24 PM
  • WHS Firewall problem confirmed.

Somehow, the exceptions for ports 55000 and 56000 were missing from Windows Firewall. Once I recreated them, I could login to the console again.

Very strange, I don't remember doing anything to the firewall - one minute it was working, next time it wouldn't let me log into the console from any workstation.

Solved, anyway.

JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS
    • Marked as answer by PCMechanix Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:37 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:37 PM