Lost CD-Key, CD, and website no longer has proof of purchase. RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, I was forced to reformat my computer due to some critical error. I went looking for my cd-key but I wasn't able to locate it. I installed Vista, and wanted to kick myself for that mistake. Performance is so bad on it I'm about to barf. I called in to support to see if I am able to recover my code. After explaining to them of my missing disc and the product key; they required a proof of purchase. I logged onto Newegg and realize they didn't seem to have records that far back. So I explained to them, that I have activated this product key many times and registered with Microsoft. I'm wondering if that is sufficient proof of my purchase. Any advice would be helpful. I just can't stand the horrible performance in vista.

My Comp:
    Pentium D 830
    2 7800GTX-SLi
    1GB Ram
    Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 7:42 AM

Answers

• Yokushin,

What type of XP license did you purchase from new egg, retail or oem?

A retail package of XP would have the Product Key on the inner CD holding folder, printed on a yellow-orage sticker on the back face of the folder.

An oem license for XP would have the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) itself, which should have been affixed to your computer's case.

Just out of curiosity, what is you Vista Experience Index?

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 8:10 PM
  • I was lucky and I found a printed copy of my records, turns out I purchase Xp from EWIZ and they never had it in their systems.

My vista index are:

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz 4.8
    Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB 4.5
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 5.9
    Gaming graphics 511 MB Total available graphics memory 5.3
    Primary hard disk 175GB Free (234GB Total) 5.3

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 10:50 PM
  • Yokushin,

Your computer certainly has the horsepower to run Vista nicely.

First thing to check is whether your system BIOS and drivers are all up-to-date.  If they check out, try a clean installation.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:38 PM
  • Well I'm pretty sure I have everything up to date. Just angers me to find out that Microsoft dropped support for Direct 3D Sounds just because they wish to promote cross platform gaming with 360 and PC. I found many posts on other forum stating my Creative sound card might be the source for the bad performance since MS no longer supports it.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 7:36 PM

All replies

• Yokushin,

What type of XP license did you purchase from new egg, retail or oem?

A retail package of XP would have the Product Key on the inner CD holding folder, printed on a yellow-orage sticker on the back face of the folder.

An oem license for XP would have the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) itself, which should have been affixed to your computer's case.

Just out of curiosity, what is you Vista Experience Index?

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 8:10 PM
  • I was lucky and I found a printed copy of my records, turns out I purchase Xp from EWIZ and they never had it in their systems.

My vista index are:

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz 4.8
    Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB 4.5
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 5.9
    Gaming graphics 511 MB Total available graphics memory 5.3
    Primary hard disk 175GB Free (234GB Total) 5.3

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 10:50 PM
  • Yokushin,

Your computer certainly has the horsepower to run Vista nicely.

First thing to check is whether your system BIOS and drivers are all up-to-date.  If they check out, try a clean installation.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 3:38 PM
  • Well I'm pretty sure I have everything up to date. Just angers me to find out that Microsoft dropped support for Direct 3D Sounds just because they wish to promote cross platform gaming with 360 and PC. I found many posts on other forum stating my Creative sound card might be the source for the bad performance since MS no longer supports it.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2007 7:36 PM