Unable to add/remove program exceptions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I wondered if someone here faced this issue as well - when attempting to add or remove a program exception in firewall settings (Advanced Settings) a window pops up saying "Windows Live OneCare cannot add the selected program file(s) to your firewall program list".

The problem is only noticeable when AT&T Netclient is active (VPN connection to corporate network). I am using Vista x64.

Thanks
     - PC
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:47 PM

Answers

• Yes, this would be expected, though not desirable, behavior. With two active network connections - the VPN and your regular connection, the firewall steps into Public mode, which locks down the ability to make changes among other things.

-steve

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:30 PM

All replies

• Yes, this would be expected, though not desirable, behavior. With two active network connections - the VPN and your regular connection, the firewall steps into Public mode, which locks down the ability to make changes among other things.

-steve

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Thanks! That makes perfect sense. Is there any way to circumvent the situations? Perhaps some setting to treat the secondary network connection (VPN) as trusted? I went in my network connections dialog and changed the network from "Unidentified/public" to "home/work private" but to no avail.

- PC
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Unfortunately, no. This is a limitation in the way the firewall interacts with the network stack when two or more connections are present. And, yes, in my opinion I'd consider that a design flaw or defect. :-(

You'll need to manually add the exceptions when the second connection is not active.

-steve

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:08 PM