Project server 2010 - Approve the status update automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

I'm working with project server 2010, need to develop a feature

1- Submit status update for resource

2- Accept (approve) the status update automatically

3- Publish the updates/project

Feature 1 and 3 have been done, i'm having problem with feature #2.

First I use the manage rules in project server to achieve #2 however I've found that it's only applicable for specific project owner (status manager). No way to set the rules globally.

I'm looking at the PSI API there're methods ReadStatusApprovalsSubmitted and UpdateStatusApprovals but it's only for current logged-on resource, I want to automate for all the enterprise resources, is there any possible way to do that?

Another option is using impersonation, i haven't tried because I'd don't want to do this way, is there any better way to do feature #2?

Thank you,

Steven

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:10 AM

Answers

• There are 3 options you could try:

1. Create automatic approval rules for all users

2. Read all project managers, impersonate and approve the updates

3. Create event handler for impersonation and accept the updates

Thanks --Ajith

Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:10 PM

All replies

• There are 3 options you could try:

1. Create automatic approval rules for all users

2. Read all project managers, impersonate and approve the updates

3. Create event handler for impersonation and accept the updates

Thanks --Ajith

Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:10 PM
  • All solutions other than the auto approval require impersonation and the usage of PSI statusing

Jan Cirpka

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:25 PM
  • If your solution needs to do all 3 of these things then there is no way around impersonation since you are needing to do things FOR specific users.

that said I will throw the caution flag here since what you are suggesting is basically having an application submit, approve and publish status information which can be prett dangerous from a PM process and schedule integrity standpoint. how is your app supposed to know what to submit? Then do your PMs really want an app deciding which status updates get inserted as actual work into their project schedules? Where is the oversight?

this is a dark, dark place you are going Steven. :-)

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Thanks All for the advice. I'm trying another option is to change all status manager of all project plans into 1 system user and use that account to approve on behalf before giving try to impersonation.

But there's a little problem with getting and updating StatusManager field of the task, the field always return empty when I try to get it anyone has faced this issue?

@ Brian: I also think it's not a good and correct way of managing and updating project schedule like what's i'm doing :) but in real world all project managers in my department never update their project plans all they want to see is a nice report after the program update actual hour for tasks from department timesheet system.

• Edited by Steven Hua Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:00 AM
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 4:58 AM
  • the user that will become the status manager needs to open the project and set the field manually.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:18 PM