Is Toll Information provided in the Streets & Trips software? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to buy the MS Streets and Trips Software...specially to claculate optimal routes for my long trips. I understand that it calculates the cost of route.. but Does it also include the Toll Costs on various highways?

Thanks,

kapil

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:13 PM

All replies

• No.  Bear in mind that highway tolls are variable.  Some even charge different rates at different times of day.  Also, it is usually a political decision as to what rates to set. 
    • Proposed as answer by Philip K1 Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:52 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Though I understand that the tolls are variable but I think in order to calculate a good estimate of overall cost, the Tolls cost should be included. MS claim that we can know the cost is kind of misleading because its missing this key component.

Having said that, MS can and should include atleast an average of the variable cost for each Toll Point. The costs are variable but not that much... Having an Average cost is Better to give an indication of the total cost instead of No Cost. This is No different than the price of Gas - It is Not Same price everywhere. It is more variable than anything else but we make an assumption using average price. Same can be and shoudl be done for toll.

Another example is the Speed limit.  It can also be variable duing school time..

So I think MS does and should include this information to make it a complete product.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:15 PM
  • And then there is the rate variability based on the sort of vehicle...
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Yep.. It will be... Based on Number of Axles etc... but MS is a software company and this is not a very difficult data to compile and include in cost. I know for some trips the Cost of Toll can be as much as Gas.

I am not saying it is very easy to do but it is not that difficult also. It just makes the product complete. thats all...

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:48 PM