Remote Access and router configuration RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have been trying to get the remote access working but seem to have run into a wall. I am not sure if the problem is a port forwarding one, or a general problem with my router and WHS.

I have pretty much everything set up and working. When I got to setting up the remote access I most things went smoothly. and at first I could access my server remotely from a pc in the network. However when I tried to access from an external pc I was getting to the login page for my router.

All of the checks for the domain name were fine.

The Router config was less successful:

UPnP: good
    Configuring your Router: failed
    Verifying your web site is available on your server: good
    Verifying remote access is available on your server: good
    Verifying your router is accepting web connections: failed
    Verifying your router is accepting remote access connections: failed
    Verifying your network configuration: failed

My router is a D-Link G644T with the newest firmware. I have enabled the upnp and tried forwarding the ports manually as well.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Phil

Monday, June 18, 2007 10:36 PM

Answers

• Well I reset my router and tried to redo all the remote setup from WHS and still had the same errors. However today I could access ******.livenode.com. So problem solved, but I am not quite sure how or why.

Phil

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:47 AM

All replies

• Well I reset my router and tried to redo all the remote setup from WHS and still had the same errors. However today I could access ******.livenode.com. So problem solved, but I am not quite sure how or why.

Phil

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:47 AM
  • I had similar problems when I had to replace my old LinkSys router with a LinkSys RVS4000 Gigabit.  During automatic setup by WHS Console, I received same information as quoted above, except it reported that the router was configured.  But I had to go to the router and set up the single ports.  My problem may have been the results of the WHS being designed for home use and my router is a business series and it may not be supported.

The gigabit router and gigabit LAN connectors on each network computers reduced upload and download time of photos by 75% or more.  I save my photos on all of the computers' data drives and of course in shared folders for friends and family.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:42 PM
  • I'm having an issue where internally I can connect to any system, but externally I'm getting an error stating "The remote connection to the computer timed out.  Please connect again."  It doesn't matter if I try to remote to the server itself, my Vista Ultimate computer or my MCE2K5 computer.

All configuration settings check out.  uPnP is good, and the router (Linksys BEFSX41) was successful.  I know that outbound port 3389 isn't blocked from the nework at work, because I used to tap directly into my Vista machine via port forwarding.

Any thoughts?  I already tried resetting my router and reconfiguring the network settings on the server via the Connector software.  My server, desktop and mediacenter are all on private, static IP's with the proper gateway and DNS settings.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:59 PM
  • If all is as mentioned; you've done everything right. You can connect internally thats great!

Make sure all the little stupid errors are checked. I had a similar problem.

I had my server ip wrong, make sure the specified port is forwarding to the right internal ip address.

good luck!

Monday, February 11, 2008 10:51 AM