WHS 2011 Will Not Shut Down RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS 2011 machine has suddenly decided not to shut down.  I've tried from the machine itself, the dashboard, remote desktop, etc.  I have no other devices attached or programs running.  The sytem is described below:

Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 Motherboard

4GB Corsair Ram

HighPoint RAID Controller w/8TB Array

IcyDock 2.5" RAID 1 OS Mirror

Corsair 650W Power Supply

All BIOS are updated.

All this works fine except one day it just decided not to shut down, it just restarts when told to shut down.  Tried from safe mode with the same result.

Monday, May 30, 2011 10:52 AM

All replies

• Does ist shut down from Remote Desktop?

Check also the event log (Applications and Services Log/Microsoft/Windows/Diagnostics-Performance for issues during shutdown) and the normal event log for crashes during the shutdown process.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, May 30, 2011 12:53 PM
  • From a command prompt, type "shutdown /s" without the quotes.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

My WHS 2011 machine has suddenly decided not to shut down. I've tried from the machine itself, the dashboard, remote desktop, etc. I have no other devices attached or programs running. The sytem is described below:

Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 Motherboard

4GB Corsair Ram

HighPoint RAID Controller w/8TB Array

IcyDock 2.5" RAID 1 OS Mirror

Corsair 650W Power Supply

All BIOS are updated.

All this works fine except one day it just decided not to shut down, it just restarts when told to shut down. Tried from safe mode with the same result.

BullDawg
    Monday, May 30, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Nothing, but thanks.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 6:24 PM
  • It's often a driver, which is not closing properly on shutdown, crashing and therefore causing a reboot.

So it might be worth to get the latest drivers from the hardware makers and install them one by one.

What happens if you use the power button on the case to initiate shutdown?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 12:46 PM