WHS to be green! Wake on LAN for client backup should get implemented! RRS feed

• Question

• The Wake on LAN (WOL) feature should get implemented into WHS. This would be a major feature to support the "green wave" which goes around the planet at the moment! (and makes a lot sense, too!) It would help to save energy and as a result to save the atmosphere! (wouldn't that be a good marketing idea ?)

And it would help to reduce the bill for electrical power of the WHS homes.

I would be very happy to see these two features get developed:

1. The WHS itself uses WOL and Power down to run client backups at night.
    2. The WHS connector has features to hibernate and wake up the WHS server. Manually intiated and automatically by accessing the shares (or other ressources ideally) and showing a popup window like "Please wait some minutes, the WHS is getting waked up")
    3. The WHS server fell asleep after a some time of inactivity (configurable, ie. after 1 hour)

To make 1.) happen if 2.) did occur, the server should be able to wakup itself, then to wakeup the clients, then run the backup, then shut down the clients and fell asleep himself again.

This would be very great and either a big argument to buy (for HIM) it or at least a big hesitation gets removed (for HER).

Sunday, July 29, 2007 2:17 PM

Answers

• I agree that it would be really neat to see this added, but it's just not going to happen. This has already been covered here in the forums: Wake On LAN wasn't included in WHS because it's not sufficiently reliable.
    • You need the hardware and BIOS to fully support it. Some motherboards only partially support WOL, in that they wake on any network traffic, not just on a "magic packet". PCs built on this hardware will typically wake up every 10-15 minutes.
    • You need the hardware and BIOS correctly configured, which they are not, from the major PC manufacturers. And there's no standard way (often there's no way at all) to configure the hardware and BIOS from the operating system.
    • The protocol itself is inherently unreliable. WOL uses UDP, which is a "fire and forget" protocol; there's no provision for a response that says "I've received your request and am working on it." So you fire off several WOL packets and hope...
    • For waking the server the way you describe (when you try to open a share), you would need OS level support on the clients for generating the WOL packets, and it's not there.
    All of this is not to say that WOL doesn't work for a lot of people, because it does, but it requires a level of knowledge, and willingness to tweak, that the typical home user just doesn't want to be bothered with. It won't be in V1, because that's already gone gold. And I doubt that it will be included in future versions.

As for putting the server into a low power state after a period of inactivity, you can do that now, using the Power Options Control Panel applet. But you'll need to configure the server for WOL yourself, and you'll need to generate magic packets from the client yourself. I think you'll find that your users will complain about having to deal with all this. Even if the support you suggest existed, I think they'd complain: "Why do I always have to wait a while when I want to access a share on the server? If I want my files, I want them now, not in a couple of minutes!"
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:09 PM

All replies

• I agree that it would be really neat to see this added, but it's just not going to happen. This has already been covered here in the forums: Wake On LAN wasn't included in WHS because it's not sufficiently reliable.
    • You need the hardware and BIOS to fully support it. Some motherboards only partially support WOL, in that they wake on any network traffic, not just on a "magic packet". PCs built on this hardware will typically wake up every 10-15 minutes.
    • You need the hardware and BIOS correctly configured, which they are not, from the major PC manufacturers. And there's no standard way (often there's no way at all) to configure the hardware and BIOS from the operating system.
    • The protocol itself is inherently unreliable. WOL uses UDP, which is a "fire and forget" protocol; there's no provision for a response that says "I've received your request and am working on it." So you fire off several WOL packets and hope...
    • For waking the server the way you describe (when you try to open a share), you would need OS level support on the clients for generating the WOL packets, and it's not there.
    All of this is not to say that WOL doesn't work for a lot of people, because it does, but it requires a level of knowledge, and willingness to tweak, that the typical home user just doesn't want to be bothered with. It won't be in V1, because that's already gone gold. And I doubt that it will be included in future versions.

As for putting the server into a low power state after a period of inactivity, you can do that now, using the Power Options Control Panel applet. But you'll need to configure the server for WOL yourself, and you'll need to generate magic packets from the client yourself. I think you'll find that your users will complain about having to deal with all this. Even if the support you suggest existed, I think they'd complain: "Why do I always have to wait a while when I want to access a share on the server? If I want my files, I want them now, not in a couple of minutes!"
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:09 PM
  • If you look in the 'Developers' section of the forum, you will see there is an Add-In which implements a WOL function. However, as you read through the 16 pages, you will see the issues that some people have.

On four or five differing hardware systems I've now tried WHS on, all have responded well to having Power Savings enabled.  However, the ONLY one that reliably, (Imean every single time,) responded to a WOL magic packet, is a Dell SC1425 twin Opteron Server.Even then, as Ken says, there was a delay of perhaps, 60 seconds or so, before anything was available.

HTH,

Colin

Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:54 PM
  •  Atrider2007 wrote:

The Wake on LAN (WOL) feature should get implemented into WHS. This would be a major feature to support the "green wave" which goes around the planet at the moment! (and makes a lot sense, too!) It would help to save energy and as a result to save the atmosphere! (wouldn't that be a good marketing idea ?)

Many of us don'y buy into the whole man-made global warming hysteria that's sweeping the planet. I run my LANs 24/7 with no WOL. I can afford the electricity.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Sometimes it isn't the powerbill, my WHS puts off quite a bit of heat with 1TB of storage in it. However should I do that, I'd likely need to forgo any web aspect.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:39 PM
  •  Lyme wrote:

Sometimes it isn't the powerbill, my WHS puts off quite a bit of heat with 1TB of storage in it.

So does mine but I'm not hibernating/sleeping anything, I like my computers running and computing, etc. A computer that's not running is a paperweight. Stick out tongue

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:46 PM
  • Thought more suitable for idling .. folding@home 

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:43 AM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

If you look in the 'Developers' section of the forum, you will see there is an Add-In which implements a WOL function. However, as you read through the 16 pages, you will see the issues that some people have.

On four or five differing hardware systems I've now tried WHS on, all have responded well to having Power Savings enabled.  However, the ONLY one that reliably, (Imean every single time,) responded to a WOL magic packet, is a Dell SC1425 twin Opteron Server.Even then, as Ken says, there was a delay of perhaps, 60 seconds or so, before anything was available.

HTH,

Colin

What is needed to turn on the WOL on SC1425? I have couple of these and WOL doesn't work for me.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:33 AM
  • jozef,

You need to enable the type of WOL packets you require through the 'Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device manager'. Select your Network Adapter and go through it's 'Advanced' tab of it's properties.

Colin

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:53 PM