Activation of Office under multiple hardware profiles? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a MacBook Pro, and I am running Windows XP and Office Ultimate 2007 under both Parallels and Boot Camp.  I activated Office via telephone when I was in Boot Camp.  Now, when I load Windows under Parallels, it prompts me to activate again.

If I activate under Parallels, will I lose my activation under Boot Camp?  In other words, when I load Windows under Boot Camp, will it prompt me to activate yet again?  And get me into an infinite cycle of activation?  Or will Office realize that these are each two hardware profiles (they are setup that way, and I select the appropriate profile at boot-up) and thus allow me to run under both configurations?  I figure this is not too far off from a laptop with a docking station, and Office should be smart enough to figure this out.  But I don't want to spend 20 minutes on the phone only to find that my Boot Camp install no longer works. :-(

Thanks for the help.
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:45 PM

Answers

• You can only install and activate one (1) license for Office 2007 on just one (1) computer, regardless of hardware profiles.  If you wish to install a second copy of Office 2007 on the same computer, then you'll need to purchase a second license.

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Friday, January 16, 2009 3:16 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2007 4:33 AM

All replies

• A retail version of Microsoft Office permits one to install and activate twice.  You can install and activate Office on one (1) desktop computer and one (1) laptop computer only.

• Unmarked as answer by Moby Disk Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:02 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2007 12:42 AM
  • Yay, that completely fails to answer my question entirely, while sounding authoritative.

Can I activate it twice on the same computer, under 2 different hardware profiles?  If not, is there another way I can run Office in these two configurations?  Does Office recognize activations under different hardware profiles?
    Monday, December 17, 2007 4:28 AM
  • You can only install and activate one (1) license for Office 2007 on just one (1) computer, regardless of hardware profiles.  If you wish to install a second copy of Office 2007 on the same computer, then you'll need to purchase a second license.

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Friday, January 16, 2009 3:16 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2007 4:33 AM
  • I have only one copy of Office 2007, on one computer.  I run that software under two different configuratons.  Let me clarify again: There is only one c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office folder on the one computer.  But Office thinks that every time I boot into a different configuration it thinks it is a different computer.  Surely people have this problem with laptop docking stations right?  Or when PC card slots are removed?  Or something?  I can't be the only person who has this problem with Office.  It is ONE copy ONE computer ONE hard drive ONE partition.  But Office thinks it is two different installs.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Looks like this has been discssed before, with no solution.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 3:42 PM