New to WHS, questions RRS feed

• Question

• A few years ago, I purchased WHS with the intention of building a server.  I had a bad and nonreturnable motherboard, so the whole project went on hold for a long time.  Today I went down and bought some new guts with the renewed idea that I was going to build this WHS box.  Among my purchases was an Asus M5A97 mobo.  I'm having a lot of trouble finding driver support for this board, and lots of internet people telling other people on forums "You have to buy a board that supports WHS or you'll never be able to make it work."

My question is, are boards that support WHS generally marked clearly?  Is there a compat list I can look at?  Google lead me to here, so I figured I would ask before I scrap the entire project.

So far I've been able to get a Server 2003 directly from Realtek to recognize my LAN card, and I'm currently running Windows Update and busilly installing hundreds of updates.  Any chance that any of these updates are going to help WHS with my current mobo?  Should I just return it and buy something else?  I only have 7 days to refund this board if that's what needs to happen, can I get some quick help/advice?

Also, I'm using the original WHS since it was purchased several years ago.  Should I scrap this and upgrade to WHS 2011?  Is there anything significant that it can do that original WHS can't do?  I plan on using it to back up 4 Win7 machines and possibly a MacBook, and store my media library, so pretty simple stuff I think.

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:31 AM

All replies

• There are no boards with specific "Windows Home Server" drivers; since the product is based on Windows Server 2003 x86 drivers for that OS are preferable, or (failing that) Drivers for Windows XP x86 will almost always work.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:06 AM