Which database id better to use MS Access or SQL Server Compact Edition or SQLite? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am developing an C# .net standalone desktop application. I will not be dealing with large amount of data.

Hence, I am a bit reluctant to use SQL Server or Oracle or any such other databases.

I did a little bit of googling and have figured out three databases that I can use.

1. MS Access 2. SQL Server Compact Edition 3. SQLite

My application is not a mobile application, it is a stand alone desktop application and I will be dealing with highly confidential data.

I am naive in making this decision as the data that will be stored in the database will be highly confidential.

Can anybody please suggest which database should I select out of the above mentioned three databases?

Also consider if there are any licensing issues in using either of the three.

I will be using .net framework 3.5.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Parth Shah

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 5:38 AM

Answers

• Since this is a design question, try the Architecture forum.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 3:18 PM