none
Rebuilt WHS with Windows Server 2003 - Now unable to access files RRS feed

• Question

• So I think I know the answer, but I am hoping its not what I fear (which is, yep you've lost them)

I have been using the 120 day trial of Windows Home Server, and to be fair it was kind of what I wanted, but didnt do what I needed.

So with the 120th days approaching, I thought i would wipe the C drive, install Server 2003 STD in its place and re-share the files.

But no! it apears even though the files are there, I cannot open / view them. Even though I can see the file size, and browse directories.

This only apears to apply to files created in the 'Shared' folder. Files and Folders I created with drivers for the server, which where located in the root of the D drive are perfectly fine and accessable.

I have tried taking ownership of the folder (and sub directories) and when checking the properties of any random file, I can see I am the owner and have full rights.

So how stuffed am I? is it a case of recovering what I can from the 'DE' folder and starting again or is there a way to recover / gain access to these files?

Fingers Crossed!

Lewis
    Friday, March 13, 2009 11:14 AM

Answers

• Your files should be in the DE folder in the root of the D partition and / or in the DE folder in any of the DATA drives you had in your WHS.

In WHS D:\shares only contains "tombstones", effectively these are only placeholders pointing to the actual location of the files.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:46 PM

All replies

• Your files should be in the DE folder in the root of the D partition and / or in the DE folder in any of the DATA drives you had in your WHS.

In WHS D:\shares only contains "tombstones", effectively these are only placeholders pointing to the actual location of the files.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Thank you so much, indeed all was there present and correct.

I thought it was a replication, and it might not have been complete.

Thanks again :-) I am very relieved and grateful :-)

and in case I didnt mention it before.

THANK YOU :-)

Lewis
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:52 AM