Activation keys not available - expired. Can I reinstall again? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

since running the evaluation version unactivated I have not been able to get a new key via Connect, and the old key I have via Connect is invalid. My 30 is about to expire. Can I do a server reinstall (NOT new install) to get another 30 days?

If not, please can we get an update on this issue soon, also now even the download link for the trial ISO does not work.

Thanks

Sam
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:25 PM

All replies

• You can do a server reinstall to get another 30 days, yes.

As for downloads, etc. I have an inquiry in to Microsoft on the subject. So far there's nothing to report, I'm afraid. This is only speculation, but it's possible that Microsoft intends a media refresh, in which case they would doubtless remove the old media some time before making the new media available. They might also turn off product key generation, since the product key is usually pretty tightly tied to the exact version of software being installed (you could not, for example, use an MSDN product key to activate an OEM version of Windows Home Server).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:16 PM
  • I noticed Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 Evaluation is now available for download. The MS download page states:

6. You may now use the Evaluation Edition for 30 days. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software.

So one would expect valid PP3 trial keys to be available in less then 30 days from now.... (?)

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Friday, November 27, 2009 10:33 PM