No password for administrator acct. RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot access windows live one care because it requires a password I don't remember making.  The user account control is turned on and it won't turn off without the password which of course I don't have.  Help
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:51 PM

Answers

• It sounds like your user account does not have administrative privileges if it is asking for a password. You can have two kinds of Windows user accounts in Vista - an administrator or a limited user. if you don't have administrative rights, there are certain things that you will be prompted to provide administrative credentials for in Windows to "run as administrator" and that includes changing settings in OneCare.
    Unfortunately, if there are no other Windows User accounts on your PC and you don't recall the administrator password, recovering this can be very difficult. If there are no other users of your PC, you may want to contact OneCare support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Or, contact the PC manufacturer for help.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:07 PM

All replies

• It sounds like your user account does not have administrative privileges if it is asking for a password. You can have two kinds of Windows user accounts in Vista - an administrator or a limited user. if you don't have administrative rights, there are certain things that you will be prompted to provide administrative credentials for in Windows to "run as administrator" and that includes changing settings in OneCare.
    Unfortunately, if there are no other Windows User accounts on your PC and you don't recall the administrator password, recovering this can be very difficult. If there are no other users of your PC, you may want to contact OneCare support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Or, contact the PC manufacturer for help.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:07 PM
  • In following up my first question, I left out the part about turning on the user account in the security settings on the firewall, malware etc. page.
    • Merged by Darin Smith MSModerator Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:32 PM additional information to original issue thread
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:14 PM
  • Turning User Account Control on or off is a feature of Windows, not OneCare. Now that you have turned it on, you will need to know the administrator password in order to turn it off and/or access features that require administrative elevation.
    -steve

Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Since I'm such a dummy, do I contact Microsoft for this problem?  Getting an admin password from Microsoft will work on the Windows Liveone Care settings?  Thank you so much for your help.  I'm going nuts.  I have 2 other computers on the circle but since mine is the hub of course I can't get in the settings that way.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Technically, no. If your computer came with Windows installed on it, which is what I assume, then you'd contact the PC manufacturer to get support for Windows. OneCare is not the cause of your problem - your inability to access the OneCare settings is because your user account is a limited user and you turned on UAC, but do not know the password for the administrator account. Unfortunately, I suspect that the solution will be the following:
    1. backup your data by manually copying it to another location - CD/DVD, External drive, network, flash drive
    2. Restore the PC to factory condition per the manufacturer instructions
    3. Configure the PC, setting up UAC, the administrator password, your user account, etc.
    4. Reinstall software that is no longer on the PC after the restore
    5. Uninstall any other security software
    6. Install OneCare from http://onecare.live.com (trial version) if it was not preinstalled by the vendor of the PC
    7. Activate the installed copy of OneCare with the LiveID that you originally used with your subscription.
    8. Copy the data files back manually from where you copied to to in step 1

You can, as a OneCare subscriber, contact OneCare support for help, but I'm afraid that they will probably refer you to the PC manufacturer support or Windows support and the latter will not be free.

-steve
    Friday, August 21, 2009 11:42 AM