Microsoft Messenger cannot sign you in RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've been trying to get a Microsoft Messenger Client for a mac to connect to my Office Communication Server 2007 public beta, but I get this error.

Microsoft Messenger cannot sign you in.

Either data and time settings are incorrect, or the digital certificate file is not valid or installed on your computer. If date and time are correct, see your network administrator to verify that the digital certificate file is valid and installed.

I have exported the certificate from the OCS 2007 and installed it on 10 PC clients, which works fine, but when I import the certificate and try to connect on a mac, I get this error when I try to connect.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Everything looks good with the possible exception of the certificate importation on the Mac. Could you follow the below steps to see if that helps.

·         On the Mac open up the “Keychain Access” application (/Application/Utilities/Keychain Access.app)

·         In the keychain app select File->Import to import the certificate.

·         Important: when importing the certificate a “file open” dialog/sheet will appear which allows you to choose the keychain that you will import into – the user needs to select the X509Anchors keychain

·         Restart Mac Messenger and see if he can sign in via TLS…

I have also seen the values entered into the Mac Msgr signin dialog causing some people problems; they should look something like:

User ID: user@domain.com (good usage, no slash)

User ID: domain.com\user (good usage, backslash)

User ID: domain.com/user (bad usage, forward slash, should not work to login)

Thanks

Bernd 

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am contacting the Product Group on this issue and will come back to you, as soon as I got a reply.

Thanks

Bernd

Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please give us some more details on what you did:

- Did your Mac clients work with an LCS 2005 SP1 environment?

- Did you try to connect against an LCS environment, instead an OCS beta environment?

- Did you prefer TLS over TCP in the Messenger configuration?

- What exact steps did you undertake on the Mac OS X machines

a) to install the certificates on the machines

b) to configure the Mac Messenger

- What version of Mac Messenger are you using?

Be as detailled as possible :-)

Thanks

Bernd

Friday, May 25, 2007 1:46 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply.

- We don't have a LCS 2005 environment here.  I was testing the OCS 2007 public beta to first implement the IM and in the future, possibly utilize the web conference and Live Meeting. 

Here is some background with what I did.  I first create a test environment called domain.dev and installed the OCS 2007.  Everything worked fine using TCP.  I then create a trust between the domain.dev and our domain.com, then installed the Communicator client for the users in the domain.com domain.  There was an issue with the certificate, so I imported the certificate in the Trust Root Certification Authority for each user.  When I did that, I chose to use TLS to connect the OCS and the client connected.

I tried to do the same with mac user, but the error stated above occurred, in addition I get another error while viewing  the certificate, "The certiificate was signed by an invalid authority."

- I preferred to use TLS instead of TCP only for this testing scenario.

- to import the certificate, i went to Applications -> Office 2004 -> Office - Microsoft Cert Manager and imported the certificate in the Apple trusted root certificate authority.

- to configure the Mac Messenger, I chose to Manually configure settings and entered the FQDN of the OCS server and checked to communicate with TLS.

- to connect the Microsoft Messenger, i entered the email address of user, the user login i used both domain.dev/username and username@domain.dev, and the user password without any success.

The Mac client is running Tiger 10.49 and the version of Messenger for Mac is 6.0.2.

I appreciate your reply, please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks

Friday, May 25, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

Everything looks good with the possible exception of the certificate importation on the Mac. Could you follow the below steps to see if that helps.

·         On the Mac open up the “Keychain Access” application (/Application/Utilities/Keychain Access.app)

·         In the keychain app select File->Import to import the certificate.

·         Important: when importing the certificate a “file open” dialog/sheet will appear which allows you to choose the keychain that you will import into – the user needs to select the X509Anchors keychain

·         Restart Mac Messenger and see if he can sign in via TLS…

I have also seen the values entered into the Mac Msgr signin dialog causing some people problems; they should look something like:

User ID: user@domain.com (good usage, no slash)

User ID: domain.com\user (good usage, backslash)

User ID: domain.com/user (bad usage, forward slash, should not work to login)

Thanks

Bernd 

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:02 AM
  •  

Thanks for the suggestion.

I ran into an error "an error occurred.  Unable to import the item.  CL_Invalid_field_pointer. 

I think this occurred because I was trying to import a .pfx file, but when I imported the .cer file, it work.

Thank you, very for your help.

WC

Friday, June 1, 2007 5:58 PM
  •  

Thanks for the suggestion.

I ran into an error "an error occurred.  Unable to import the item.  CL_Invalid_field_pointer. 

I think this occurred because I was trying to import a .pfx file, but when I imported the .cer file, it worked.

Thank you for your help.

WC

Friday, June 1, 2007 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

I was trying to log on my OCS 2007 Edge server (RTM) using the Messenger for MAC but didn't succeed so far. I was able to add the certificate to the X509Anchors container. It says "This certificate is valid" after opening it.

I have version 6.0.2 (070116) installed of the messenger.

Where can I find the trace/dubugging log for the messenger on the MAC?

Thomas

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 2:35 PM
  • We experience the same with Mac Messenger.

Looking into the security log of the OCS, we found a Failure Audit with Event ID: 680

Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
    Error Code: 0xC0000064

Funny thing that logging into Web Acess via Apple Safari also does not work but Firefox does.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:40 AM
  • I have been browsing on the forum to find out if there are some MAC users who have tried to connect using the MAC messenger. It seems that the current version only works with LCS.

Is there a work around to use this with OCS?
    Or is there a BETA version of Office Communicator for the MAC?

I'm very interested to know...
    Monday, March 24, 2008 9:25 PM
  • It seems that you can get things running using MAC messenger...

http://www.confusedamused.com/notebook/ocs-2007-messenger-for-the-mac/
    Monday, March 24, 2008 9:36 PM