Questions about TimeSheet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Project Server 2010. I have couple of questions about Time Sheet.

1) We have projects on Project Server of different departments. Is it possible to create Administrative Task unique for every department. In our scenario different department and due to the nature of work every department has a unique set of Administrative Tasks. Can we do this?

2) Is it possible, in Time Sheets, to disable the entry to any any previous or future date for any task.

Thanks in Advance.

_________________________________________________________ Fahad Khan
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:21 AM

Answers

• Fodi,

You can prevent users from reporting time on future timesheets by unchecking the box below, under Timesheet Settings.

For past tasks, Marc's answer is the way to go or ask your PMs to "Close Tasks for updates"

You can 

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by Marc Soester [MVP] Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by fodi30 Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:29 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:32 PM

All replies

• As far as I know you can only have one set of Admin tasks. I have asked  to be able to have different admin tasks for different departments, so maybe the next Proejct version?

You can close past timesheets and not create timesheets for teh future until you want them to be used.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Hi Fodi30

Here are the answers to your questions

1) We have projects on Project Server of different departments. Is it possible to create Administrative Task unique for every department. In our scenario different department and due to the nature of work every department has a unique set of Administrative Tasks. Can we do this?

[Answer] No Sorry, that is a limitation of the Administrative tasks. You can not determin an admin task for a department without custom development

2) Is it possible, in Time Sheets, to disable the entry to any any previous or future date for any task.

[Answer] given that I understood your question, you can lock timesheet periods in the Server Settings > Time Reporting Periods. You will see that the last column allows you to close the periods, which means your resources cannot enter or adjust time in the timesheet for that period

Hope that helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Thanks Rod and Marc for taking out the time and replying to my questions.

@Marc For the second answer, Locking the timesheet is something i have to do manually, is it possible to make a custom solution that will allow all the users to update the timesheet for the current date only, not past nor future. If yes, than can u give me some guidance.

Thanks,

_________________________________________________________ Fahad Khan
    • Edited by fodi30 Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Fodi,

You can prevent users from reporting time on future timesheets by unchecking the box below, under Timesheet Settings.

For past tasks, Marc's answer is the way to go or ask your PMs to "Close Tasks for updates"

You can 

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by Marc Soester [MVP] Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by fodi30 Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:29 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:32 PM