OS Disk Replacement Question RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to find an answer in the forum, but have been unable to do so. Apologies if this has already been asked.

I wanted to replace my primary disk with a larger one. I already had a second 1.5tb Seagate installed with the duplication turned on, so I thought I was good to go. So I shut down the system, installed a new 1.5 tb Western digital disk, booted to make sure the disk was recognized by the system, and then booted with the original Home Server install disk. I selected server re-install and let it run. The install hung up so I had to reboot, but I was still able to select the re-install option. Once I had it running, I did all of the updates from Microsoft. Now my issue...

All of my computers and backups are shown as well as all of the shared folders. But, the shared folders are all empty. I can see the Seagate disk under the Server Storage tab.However if I open Windows Explorer, all I see is SYS C: 20Gb, and DATA D: 1.34 Tb. Where is my second drive? and where are my duplicate files??? It's been running fro 2 days, so I figured they would have shown up by now. I still have my original OS disk which should still have the files on it, but I am leery of hooking it up...

Does anyone know what i need to do?

Thanks!

David

Monday, March 22, 2010 12:26 AM

Answers

• If I understand correctly, you performed a server reinstallation and you recovered your backups etc., but not your shares? Both of your drives are visible in the Windows Home Server console, and the new Western Digital disk is shown as the system disk in the console (i.e. has a little Windows flag)?

Since all of the data that was recovered is in the storage pool with the files in your shares, I would expect everything to come back, or nothing. Have you tried to open any backups? And are you positive you had duplication turned on? Assuming duplication was turned on, you can connect the old system drive to another computer (you shouldn't connect it to your server; connecting an old server drive to your server may cause issues) and follow the instructions in this FAQ to recover your files.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Redlabel6 Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:44 PM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:12 AM
  • The console shows both drives, Windows Explorer only shows the new WD drive.

Ken, I have not attempted to open any backups. I had added shared folders other than the standard folder, and they now show up so I know it did read the Seagate drive in order to create those folders, but are empty. I was hoping to be able to see the Seagate drive in Windows Explorer so I could see if the files were still there..

Should I disconnect the new WD drive, reconnect my "old" OS drive and see if the duplicate files are still there?

I am positive I had duplication turned on. I had an add-in, can 't recall the name, that would allow you to see what was duplicated and the capacity of each drive. I just don't want to lose my files that "should" still be on the original OS drive... Lots of family pictures there..

Thanks for the help!

David 

At this point, I would suggest you connect your old primary drive to a client (not the server) and copy the data from there (following the instructions provided in the link Ken posted above).
    • Marked as answer by Redlabel6 Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:30 AM

All replies

• If I understand correctly, you performed a server reinstallation and you recovered your backups etc., but not your shares? Both of your drives are visible in the Windows Home Server console, and the new Western Digital disk is shown as the system disk in the console (i.e. has a little Windows flag)?

Since all of the data that was recovered is in the storage pool with the files in your shares, I would expect everything to come back, or nothing. Have you tried to open any backups? And are you positive you had duplication turned on? Assuming duplication was turned on, you can connect the old system drive to another computer (you shouldn't connect it to your server; connecting an old server drive to your server may cause issues) and follow the instructions in this FAQ to recover your files.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Redlabel6 Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:44 PM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 2:12 AM
  • I can see the Seagate disk under the Server Storage tab.However if I open Windows Explorer, all I see is SYS C: 20Gb, and DATA D: 1.34 Tb. 

What does the console say? Don't trust the values shown in windows explorer.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 7:29 AM

Ken, I have not attempted to open any backups. I had added shared folders other than the standard folder, and they now show up so I know it did read the Seagate drive in order to create those folders, but are empty. I was hoping to be able to see the Seagate drive in Windows Explorer so I could see if the files were still there..

Should I disconnect the new WD drive, reconnect my "old" OS drive and see if the duplicate files are still there? I am positive I had duplication turned on. I had an add-in, can 't recall the name, that would allow you to see what was duplicated and the capacity of each drive. I just don't want to lose my files that "should" still be on the original OS drive... Lots of family pictures there..

Thanks for the help!

David

Monday, March 22, 2010 4:05 PM

Should I disconnect the new WD drive, reconnect my "old" OS drive and see if the duplicate files are still there?

I am positive I had duplication turned on. I had an add-in, can 't recall the name, that would allow you to see what was duplicated and the capacity of each drive. I just don't want to lose my files that "should" still be on the original OS drive... Lots of family pictures there..

Thanks for the help!

David 

At this point, I would suggest you connect your old primary drive to a client (not the server) and copy the data from there (following the instructions provided in the link Ken posted above).
    • Marked as answer by Redlabel6 Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:30 AM
  • I was able to recover all of my data and photos except for the software and add-ins that were in the software share. Thanks to Ken for his link. I still wonder why HS did not recover as it should have.

Thanks everyone!

Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:45 PM