Time Zone in Workflow Timeout Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen several posts related to this issue, but I can't find any answers for how to fix this issue.

I am using CRM 2011 Online version 5.0.9688.1055.

I have created a Workflow with a Wait Condition: "Process Timeout Equals 5 Minutes After Task:Created On"; after the timeout, the Workflow generates an email message to a particular user. To test this, I entered a dummy Task and checked the System Jobs to verify the Process was completing as expected.

When I check my System Jobs, the Workflow was stuck in the "Waiting" status for longer than anticipated. I opened the System Job and saw the "Postpone" value was 5 hours from when I expected it to run. I believe this is because the Time Zone for CRM 2011 Online is set to GMT; however, the users of our system are in the Eastern Time Zone.

Is there a way to have the Workflow Time Zone setting match the user's Time Zone setting? I have verified that all users are set to the Eastern Time Zone and I can't find a way to modify which Time zone the Workflow is using.

This is a high prioriy issue for us - we plan to use Workflows for notifications of due dates and if the Time Zones don't match, it's possible that a notification will sent on the wrong day.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:44 PM

Answers

• I have a workaround that might work for you: If your workflow is triggered on record creation and you just want to wait until 5 minutes after the record is created you can simply insert this condition:

Process - timeout - 5 minutes (use the duration option)

That works fine because in your case, it might be equivalent to "wait until 5 minutes after record is created" because the workflow executes when the workflow is created (assuming no other wait steps before). I've verified that works regardless of timezone!

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Friday, May 27, 2011 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Meghan,

Expressions like "5 minutes after task is created" should not be timezone dependent, because it is just a duration (timeout) that starts the moment the task is created.

Can you please let me know these details so I can help you further:

1. Timezone for the user who triggered the workflow (as set in the user preferences options)
    2. Is the workflow on-demand or triggers automatically (if so, on what event does it trigger)?
    3. Timezone for the owner of the workflow (as set in the user preferences options)

Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hi Gonzalo,

Yes, I understand the expression is not timezone-depenedent; however, because the workflow is using a different timezone than I am, it's acting as though the "moment" the task is created is at a different time of day. For example, I create the task at 11 a.m. Eastern Standard Time and the expression should cause the workflow to kick off the next step at 11:05 a.m. EST (since the timeout is 5 minutes after the task is created). However, when I open the Workflow from System Jobs, it is showing the initial action as happening at 4:00 p.m. and kicking off the next step at 4:05 p.m. So the step itself is not timezone-dependent, but it's causing an issue for me.

In answer to your questions:

1. Eastern Standard Time
    2. Workflow is automatically triggered on Record Creation
    3. Eastern Standard Time

Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Hi Meghan,

That is a very nice find, unfortunately I cannot help but confirm that this is a bug on Microsoft...I suggest opening a ticket for it.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Thank you. I will open a support ticket for this issue.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:35 PM
  • I have a workaround that might work for you: If your workflow is triggered on record creation and you just want to wait until 5 minutes after the record is created you can simply insert this condition:

Process - timeout - 5 minutes (use the duration option)

That works fine because in your case, it might be equivalent to "wait until 5 minutes after record is created" because the workflow executes when the workflow is created (assuming no other wait steps before). I've verified that works regardless of timezone!

Friday, May 27, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Yes, thank you! Using the "Duration" option fixed my issue.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 5:27 PM