Repalce HD in WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  I want to replace the single HD in a WHS with a larger one. There is no room for a second drive, but I could add the old drive temporarily. How to I update the new drive to hold my backups?
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:23 PM

Answers

• Decided to give up, and hang onto the old drive in case I need it.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:57 PM

All replies

• The Home Computer Backup technical brief describes how to back up and restore your backup database. Or you can install the Backup DataBase Backup (BDBB) add-in (search the developers forum for more details). This add-in automates the process.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:29 PM
  • Hi Ken,

That document seems to be how to backup your DB onto an external drive. I want to migrate the existing drive onto a new one.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Nigel,

If you only have a one drive system, your best option would be to another install of WHS onto the 'new' drive then doing an import from your 'old' drive using the Add-In mentioned above.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Hi Colin,

I've installed the WHSBDBB add-in, but I don't understand how use it to "Import" my old drive.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Nigel,
    If you have done a 'backup' while the old drive is live, ( you can Backup the WHS Backup Database to an Application Folder within the WHS server storage), you can then access this same backup -they are identified by date of backup- and, using the page in the Settings section of he Console, you can choose restore. This will place you copy of the backup onto your 'new' drive.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

I didn't do a backup, I just want to get the original data off the old drive. Also, there is more than just the backups on there.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:37 PM
  • Nigel Mercier said:

Hi,

I didn't do a backup, I just want to get the original data off the old drive. Also, there is more than just the backups on there.

If you didn't do a backup, just pull the old drive, connect the new one, install WHS again, then connect the old drive to a client PC and copy your data from the old drive to the shares on the new WHS install.  (The files on the old drive should be inside a hidden folder called DE.)
    Friday, December 5, 2008 3:53 AM
  • So, the bottom line is: I need to do a backup of the backups before I take the drive out?
    Friday, December 5, 2008 10:09 AM
  • Reading through this thread, it's not clear to me exactly what you're looking to accomplish. Initially you appeared to be asking how to back up your backup database and restore it later after a system drive replacement, but later it looks like that's not really your goal.

So could you please give a brief but complete description of your situation today, and what situation you're trying to reach?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 5, 2008 12:48 PM
  • I want to replace my drive, and keep the stuff that's on it. Some of this is backed up by the server, some is backed up by being dropped into a share.

My current situation is that I've put the old drive back in, and have copied the files from the share. I am now attempting to backup my backups, but I have hit a snag. I have posted this in a new thread, but repeat here for convenience

I only have a spare 200GB disk available, and the backups are 250GB. I've deleted a lot of the bckups (just keeping one per month) and have run Cleanup. Cleanup went through as far as I can see, but the database size has remained the same.

Just noticed: although the Cleanup progress bar has gone, the button below says Cancel Cleanup.

Friday, December 5, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Decided to give up, and hang onto the old drive in case I need it.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:57 PM