Some Kind of Virtual Machine Support maybe? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS on my spare computer which is composed of spare parts I've demoted from my main desktop.  Remarkably (considering WHS is to be sold mainly/only on prebuilt boxes), my Frankenstein runs without issue. 

In the past I've had this spare PC of mine set up as a second PC for family members to use when my main PC is occupied.  And that's the problem... since a server isn't really supposed to be used for daily activities, I've lost my spare computer.  So I've installed VMware with a Linux distro so the computer can still be used by others wishing to browse the web and check their e-mail without compromising the server itself.  The only problem with this is that I need to keep a user logged on to keep VMware running so the box can be used.

With this in mind I can see people just using their WHS to browse the web and download torrents etc., which we all know isn't exactly "safe" to do on a server.  So why not add some Virtual Machine capabilities and make it more functional?  At the very least, how about a new type of user account that basically just allows a web browser, e-mail client, and possibly instant messaging client to run inside a sort of "container" to isolate it from the server?

Sunday, April 29, 2007 9:49 PM

Answers

• For the most part, WHS is going to ship preinstalled on hardware like the HP MediaSmart Server. The people who will buy such a device aren't going to be looking to use it as another PC in their house. They may not realize that they possibly could do so. Since that's going to be the primary distribution method, I'm sure Microsoft is concentrating their efforts on features that will enhance that user experience.

The relatively small number of people who are going to want to install on their own hardware are a consideration, but not, I believe, a major one. Plus, setting anything up on a server to allow people to log in directly isn't particularly safe, as you note.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 12:22 AM

All replies

• For the most part, WHS is going to ship preinstalled on hardware like the HP MediaSmart Server. The people who will buy such a device aren't going to be looking to use it as another PC in their house. They may not realize that they possibly could do so. Since that's going to be the primary distribution method, I'm sure Microsoft is concentrating their efforts on features that will enhance that user experience.

The relatively small number of people who are going to want to install on their own hardware are a consideration, but not, I believe, a major one. Plus, setting anything up on a server to allow people to log in directly isn't particularly safe, as you note.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Will this product be sold as an OEM/Box Product for people who have there own computers? Or does anyone know yet?

Saturday, July 28, 2007 6:12 PM
  •  300c_pilot wrote:
    Will this product be sold as an OEM/Box Product for people who have there own computers? Or does anyone know yet?

Yes we all know and if you search, you will too.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 6:16 PM