Can we restrict what data CRM Administrators see? RRS feed

• Question

• We're going with a private firm that will manage our CRM Online instance but we want to restrict the data that they will be able to see. As I understand, CRM Administrators also get access to all records created. Can we restrict this?
    Monday, February 17, 2014 5:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want them only to administer your CRM organization and see no data, there is no need to give them full access. Assign their users with "Administrative" mode, instead of "Read and write" mode. Go to the particular user and change the mode to "Administrative".

However, if you want only to restrict some data, it will not be possible for the builtin System Administrator role, but you can always create your own "Administrator" security role that would allow for administering and configuring what you want, yet still restricting data that should not be visible.

I hope that helps,

Kuba

-- Jakub (kuba) Skałbania, Dynamics CRM MVP Netwise

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

AFAIK there is no way to hide a record from an organization admin.

Iranian Dynamics CRM Association | انجمن متخصصان ایرانی

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:08 PM
  • You can choose to give them only System Customizer access rights instead.

With that they are unable to see your data, while being able to modify your system.

Rune Daub Senior Consultant - Dynateam CRM http://www.xrmmanagement.com

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

If you want them only to administer your CRM organization and see no data, there is no need to give them full access. Assign their users with "Administrative" mode, instead of "Read and write" mode. Go to the particular user and change the mode to "Administrative".

However, if you want only to restrict some data, it will not be possible for the builtin System Administrator role, but you can always create your own "Administrator" security role that would allow for administering and configuring what you want, yet still restricting data that should not be visible.

I hope that helps,

Kuba

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:31 PM
  • I've been told that they are purchasing the accounts on our behalf as it will run one of their industry solutions that we need, so by default when they purchase the accounts - they become the main Administrator?
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

If they purchase it for you, then they will become Subscription admins. They will also probably want to be CRM System Admins, but once they create an account with System Administrator role for you, you can take the System Administrator role from their accounts. Before you do so, however, consult with them and just ask them to change the roles themselves, because they might need System Administrator access for their solution to work.

Kind regards,

Kuba

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:19 AM