Product key update did not work RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Computer that was puchase almost 8 years ago. It originally had Milllenium on it. I purchase an official Windows XP Update about 3 years ago. Last year I had to bring my computer to a local computer shop who had reformatted my hard drive. I now have the message that I may be a victim of Counterfieting. I want to get the version that is running on my computer to be authorized. I do not want to reinstall Windows XP and loose all my data. 

I tried to run the " Update your Product key" program but when I enter my Real Product Key information I get an error message that reads The product key is not a valid key for this system?

What should I do?

Sunday, July 30, 2006 7:47 PM

Answers

• It is highly probable that a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional was installed.  If your original, genuine version is Windows XP Home Edition, then the Product Key Update Tool is not going to work.  The only way to return your computer to its original Windows XP Home Edition is to perform a "clean install" which requires a reformat of your hard drive.  If you do not wish to reformat your hard drive, then you can purchase the WGA Kit.  Unfortunately, it would not be complimentary since you do not possess the required high-quality, non-genuine Windows XP Professional CD used for the installation.
    Sunday, July 30, 2006 8:37 PM

All replies

• In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine  and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.
    Sunday, July 30, 2006 7:54 PM
  • microsoft states that they will give out a complimentary kit if I have the original counterfiet disk - I do not have one I have a valid one.
    Sunday, July 30, 2006 8:15 PM
  • It is highly probable that a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional was installed.  If your original, genuine version is Windows XP Home Edition, then the Product Key Update Tool is not going to work.  The only way to return your computer to its original Windows XP Home Edition is to perform a "clean install" which requires a reformat of your hard drive.  If you do not wish to reformat your hard drive, then you can purchase the WGA Kit.  Unfortunately, it would not be complimentary since you do not possess the required high-quality, non-genuine Windows XP Professional CD used for the installation.
    Sunday, July 30, 2006 8:37 PM
  • Sorry, the WGA troubleshooting forum does not issue Product Key replacements.

Please visit:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/beta/testdrive.mspx
    Saturday, August 5, 2006 7:50 PM
  • heres a staight answer.....seems this is the only answer if you cant validate...... if you have problems with activation go buy another copy of the software.......isnt that ***!!!!!!!!!!!  that is a totally unacceptable notion who wants to join in a class action lawsuit there are enough cases of this problem to do so I think!
    Monday, August 7, 2006 1:27 AM
  • I Get Exactly The Same Message - But I Don't Qualify For A WGA Kit Because I Don't Have The Disc - The Computer Was A Present. The Person Who Gave It To Me Does No Longer Have The Disc As It Has Gone Missing. How Am I Going To Sort This Out Now? All I Want Is Windows Media Player 11! Please Help Me.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:08 PM
  • If you do not have the high-quality counterfeit CD used to install the non-genuine version of Windows XP, then you'll have to pay for the WGA Kit in order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 10:01 PM
  • Seems to me all this validation is just so Microsoft can get more money into their overflowing pockets.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:10 AM
  • Wednesday, September 13, 2006 8:23 AM
  • Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:09 PM