How do I restore a specific folder and all it's subfolders and their contents, RRS feed

• Question

• I need to restore a Visual Studio solution from a backup of my old laptop, there are many file types in this folder and over a thousand files in the solution.
    I can't see how I can select the solution folder to restore it.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:52 PM

Answers

• Though I haven't tried this in a while, the last I knew you could sort on any field in the file list that's displayed for a restore.  I believe you could perform a custom restore for all files using a wildcard something like "*" or "*.", though I can't recall the exact syntax for certain.

Then with all files displayed and sorted by folder, it used to be possible to click the first file and shift-click the last, though I don't believe the highlighting acted like it usually does.  I know this worked in early versions, but since I haven't used backup myself for over a year, I don't know if any of this changed in later versions of the GUI.

In case you aren't aware, OneCare will only be around for another year, so you should probably start looking for a new backup anyway.  How quickly you do this depends on whether your subscription is coming due soon or was recently renewed.  Though Microsoft will be providing a new anti-malware only solution code named 'Morro', it won't have any of the other features like backup.  See the 'Announcement 11-18-08' in either the Installation or General forums for more on this.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:24 AM
  • I don't know if this will work or not but it might be worth a try. Perform a custom restore and restore the entire backup to a folder on your desktop then browse that folder for your solution folder and copy it to the desired location.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:59 AM

All replies

• I don't know if this will work or not but it might be worth a try. Perform a custom restore and restore the entire backup to a folder on your desktop then browse that folder for your solution folder and copy it to the desired location.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:59 AM
  • Thanks for the response, I feel sure that would work as long as I can specify a folder to restore everything to.
    I find it hard to believe that the product doesn't support this basic functionality, I have been very happy with One Care but this is very disappointing.  Do you know whether it is intended to add such functionality or should I start looking for another backup option ?
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:07 AM
  • You can specify a folder to restore to if you choose the custom restore option. I'm pretty sure no additional features will be added to One Care. See this announcement for more information - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/64d5a8bf-5c4f-4389-8510-76f233c65aa6
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:15 AM
  • Though I haven't tried this in a while, the last I knew you could sort on any field in the file list that's displayed for a restore.  I believe you could perform a custom restore for all files using a wildcard something like "*" or "*.", though I can't recall the exact syntax for certain.

Then with all files displayed and sorted by folder, it used to be possible to click the first file and shift-click the last, though I don't believe the highlighting acted like it usually does.  I know this worked in early versions, but since I haven't used backup myself for over a year, I don't know if any of this changed in later versions of the GUI.

In case you aren't aware, OneCare will only be around for another year, so you should probably start looking for a new backup anyway.  How quickly you do this depends on whether your subscription is coming due soon or was recently renewed.  Though Microsoft will be providing a new anti-malware only solution code named 'Morro', it won't have any of the other features like backup.  See the 'Announcement 11-18-08' in either the Installation or General forums for more on this.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:24 AM