none
Stops working on large folder pairs RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed SyncToy this morning (SyncToy 2.0 Version 2.0 100.0 Built 8/12/2008 3:07:12 PM) and am trying to sync files between my two home network connected laptops both running Windows XP 2.  It works fine on many folder pairs but when I try a large folder pair (4.5 GB 20,000 files) it runs fine for several minutes and then all activity ceases.  I have tried this several times and let it run for up to 60 minutes but it always stops working in the middle with no messages.  It occurs at different points i.e. the file it is working on is different on each run but it never finishes and no errors are reported.  Program is not hung as I can hit 'Stop' and it re-acts immediately.  I have gone through the FAQs but have not seen a cause/remedy for this - anyone experience the same thing?  Anyone have a solution?

Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:04 PM

Answers

• The first sync with SyncToy (with that many files) can take a long time as it has to build up the initial meta database of changes.  The subsequent sync's should be much faster.

You might want to give it some more time the first time and see how it goes even thought it looks like there is no activity.

Liam

Monday, January 19, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• The first sync with SyncToy (with that many files) can take a long time as it has to build up the initial meta database of changes.  The subsequent sync's should be much faster.

You might want to give it some more time the first time and see how it goes even thought it looks like there is no activity.

Liam

Monday, January 19, 2009 4:53 PM
  • I did try it again and I let it run and it did complete successfully!  Thanks very much for the help.

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:50 PM
  • How do you think SyncToy will fare on a multi Terrabyte volume with tens of millions of files?

If not SyncToy what would be the best method for migrating this many files?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:08 AM
  • As far as I know, no one has ever tried SyncToy with a multi Terrabyte set of data.  I suspect that you will have a similar set of issues to the abover person in that it will likely take a long time to build up the initial metadata database and likely will be much faster from that point on.

However, given that you asked for a migration tool is this just a one time move of this data?  If so, I am not sure that SyncToy would be the best tool given that it would be meant to either keep these drives in sync or to allow you to periodically echo the added files to another machine.

Liam

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:15 PM
  • This seems to be correct.  I did try it again and waited until it complted, which it did.  Since then I have run it several times and it is indeed MUCH faster!  This is a great tool.

Thanks very much

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:46 PM
  • I am having problems syncing a large number of files (over 4,000) and 121GB and this is not the first time I have run Sync  Toy 2.0.  I am running on Vista with 6GB of RAM and syncing two external hard drives.   My other folder pairs are syncing fine but they are much smaller in magnitude.  Any suggestions?  Thanks,
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:45 PM
  • What I ended up doing was uninstalling Sync Toy, reinstalling and then rebuilding the database.  It seems that the problem is not to do with an initial build of large numbers of files but on a subsequent sync of a large number of files.  Again, I was attempting to sync over 4,000 files after my initial build.  Sync process is now working fine (after reinstalling and rebuilding database).
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:48 PM