Can Internet access on a client PC (connected by VPN to WHS) be turned on? RRS feed

• Question

• I've successfully connected to my WHS by VPN (using a standard windows VPN connection) over the internet from a couple different PCs, but have noticed that the client always looses access to the internet during the time the VPN connection is up. It would be nice to be able to go on with business as usual instead of having all other ties to the internet severed while I am accessing the server.

A number of posts, tech articles, KBs get near the subject but leave me a little confused about whether I should be able to get internet access turned on without significantly increasing security risks, or not. A few comments have suggested that this is a setting in the server... "Split Tunneling Policy" which appears to have its own risks. A single tunnel to the WHS would be just fine, if the VPN'd client could still get a connection to the outside world through the server connection.

A confirmation of whether this is a supported (or unsupported) capability, and a nudge in the right direction would be really great!

Sunday, September 5, 2010 12:08 AM

Answers

• Yes, there are ways to configure this. Depending on what you really need to do, perhaps a split VPN tunnel will be what you want to configure. But this forum isn't the place to learn about this aspect of Windows Networking, I'm afraid. You might want to start with Technet; there are several articles there that talk about VPN configuration, such as this one.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by matthew.h Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:45 PM
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 2:58 AM

All replies

• Yes, there are ways to configure this. Depending on what you really need to do, perhaps a split VPN tunnel will be what you want to configure. But this forum isn't the place to learn about this aspect of Windows Networking, I'm afraid. You might want to start with Technet; there are several articles there that talk about VPN configuration, such as this one.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by matthew.h Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:45 PM
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Thanks Ken!

I really appreciate having guys like you that take the time to point the way for others. It makes a big difference.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:46 PM