Do I need to re-back up all my photos on One Care? RRS feed

• Question

• I am a long time subscriber to One Care and hate to see it go away.  BUT:  Do I now have to go out and back up manually all my photo files (and other files) that were backed up by One Care?  Or can I use the restore tool to back them up to my external drive and still be able to access them since they were backed up in Windows Live One Care files?
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:32 PM

Answers

• If you used OneCare backup, you will be able to restore them with the OneCare restore tool even after your OneCare subscription is finished and OneCare is uninstalled. You can also extract files from the backup .zip files using WinZip or other 3rd party compression tool. Any large files split by OneCare backup will need to be re-joined, but that means extracting the parts, renaming them to have extensions of .000, .001, .002, etc. and then using this free utility: 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

You should, however, seek an alternative backup solution to use when OneCare is gone.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:17 AM