REmote Access to WHS Console RRS feed

• Question

• Setup my new WHS last night....web access to shared folders is working fine but when I try to access the console screen I can login with the Admin password but get the following message :

"remote connection to the computer timed out. Please try again"

Have added the url to trusted sites and installed active x and I am using IE. 

Any ideas?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:10 AM

Answers

• Possibly port 4125 is not forwarded properly in your router, or it's blocked from the location where you try to establish remote access.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:53 AM

All replies

• Possibly port 4125 is not forwarded properly in your router, or it's blocked from the location where you try to establish remote access.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:53 AM
  • Checked port forwarding. Disabled Vista firewall and re-booted home desktop and remote desktop worked at home. Tried agin at work today and getting tim outs on both WHS console & home desktop remote access....do you think port 4125 is blocked from work LAN?

Everything else working OK...shared folders etc etc

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:46 AM
  •  corseford wrote:

Checked port forwarding. Disabled Vista firewall and re-booted home desktop and remote desktop worked at home. Tried agin at work today and getting tim outs on both WHS console & home desktop remote access....do you think port 4125 is blocked from work LAN?

That's the most likely explanation. Ask your system administrator, or else try connecting from another computer where port4125 is likely not to be blocked. (family / friends / internet cafe)
    Friday, January 18, 2008 9:51 AM
  •  corseford wrote:

Checked port forwarding. Disabled Vista firewall and re-booted home desktop and remote desktop worked at home. Tried agin at work today and getting tim outs on both WHS console & home desktop remote access....do you think port 4125 is blocked from work LAN?

I get the same exact thing when I try from work.  I'm pretty sure they are blocking 4125.

I'm suspecting that our employers would rather see us working than playing around on our computers at home via RDC

Friday, January 18, 2008 4:51 PM