WHS network and Norton Internet Secuity 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched hundreds of threads on this topic with no solution. I have WHS server running with 3 PC's in a home network (192.168.1.xxx).  Home server works with file share, backups, etc. I can even remote desktop from any of the home network PC's to the WHS server. The problem I have is that I have NOT been able to get external internet access to my network to work. I have port forwarding set correctly and have read ALL of the Microsoft tech docs on Remote Access. I think that Norton Internet Security is blocking access. I do NOT have Norton installed on the WHS, only the 3 client PC's.  I cannot find any reference to this situation on Symantec's website, Microsoft's website, or nay of the forums.  Does anyone have a configuration similar to mine working? I need help with settings.
    H-P Test Engineer
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:57 PM

All replies

• Norton Internet Security, if not installed on the Windows Home Server, cannot block the access from the Internet to the Remote Access Page, but the connection from that page to the client PCs.
    So it would be helpfull, to explain more in detail, what you mean - yourdomain.homeserver.com access in general not functioning?
    If this is the case, which router do you use (could be not compatible) and which is your ISP (could block the ports you need)?
    Is the router directly connected with the Internet, or is there an additional DSL modem between?
    Are the ports 80, 443 and 4125 properly forwarded in the router to the current IP address of your server?
    Can you reach your servers remote access page locally by opening http://yourservername in Internet Explorer?
    Did you register your homeserver.com domain properly and reconfigured it recently?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Olaf,

I use a cable modem to a Linksys WRT54G Ver 6 Wireless access Router. The WHS is hard wired (Cat 5) to the Linksys router. I have set up port forwarding for ports 80, 443, and 4125 as directed from the Port Forwarding website. I don't think Comcast blocks these ports.

I cannot reach the WHS server within my home network from a web browswer, IE6.

I did register my domain name with Microsoft live.

I have not tried to reconfigure the "settings" tab in Home Server Console yet.  Will try again tonight.
    H-P Test Engineer
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Dennis Tcheck said:

I have searched hundreds of threads on this topic with no solution. I have WHS server running with 3 PC's in a home network (192.168.1.xxx).  Home server works with file share, backups, etc. I can even remote desktop from any of the home network PC's to the WHS server. The problem I have is that I have NOT been able to get external internet access to my network to work. I have port forwarding set correctly and have read ALL of the Microsoft tech docs on Remote Access. I think that Norton Internet Security is blocking access. I do NOT have Norton installed on the WHS, only the 3 client PC's.  I cannot find any reference to this situation on Symantec's website, Microsoft's website, or nay of the forums.  Does anyone have a configuration similar to mine working? I need help with settings.

H-P Test Engineer

If you remote desktop into the server and launch IE on the server, can you reach an external site?

It sounds like only the clients that have NIS installed cannot reach external sites due to a NIS firewall configuration. If the server does not have NIS installed, it more than likely can still get out as Olaf pointed out.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:29 PM
  •  "If you remote desktop into the server and launch IE on the server, can you reach an external site? "  Yes! I can web browse from the WHS server web browser.

All clients can web browse and share files with the WHS. Backups work as well.

I just cannot access my entire home network or the WHS server remotely outside my 192.168.1.xxx network.

H-P Test Engineer
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:36 PM
  • Hi,
    Dennis Tcheck said:

Olaf,

I use a cable modem to a Linksys WRT54G Ver 6 Wireless access Router. The WHS is hard wired (Cat 5) to the Linksys router. I have set up port forwarding for ports 80, 443, and 4125 as directed from the Port Forwarding website. I don't think Comcast blocks these ports.

does the cable modem have its own subnet? In this scenario, known as double NAT, it's rather impossible to get a connection.

Can you load the website of the server, if you load the internal site http://yourservername from the IE on the server desktop directly?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Dennis,
    I have a very similar setup as you do - Same router, Comcast, multiple computers, etc.  I also checked out the information on PortForward.com but I found that the DNS addresses they had for Comcast were not what was showing on my system when I ran IPCONFIG / all.  Make sure you check your IP setup and correctly configure the static IP, gateway, and DNS information showing from your system, not the PortForward.com info.  Once I did that, I have been running constant for a few weeks.

Good Luck!
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:49 AM
  • Dennis Tcheck said:

Olaf,

I cannot reach the WHS server within my home network from a web browswer, IE6.

I did register my domain name with Microsoft live.

I have not tried to reconfigure the "settings" tab in Home Server Console yet.  Will try again tonight.

H-P Test Engineer

Perhaps Comcast is blocking your ports.  You might want to check Shields Up! and see what it says for the ports in question.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:55 PM