The Windows Live OneCare Firewall is blocking itself RRS feed

• Question

• I get a message that says "The firewall has blocked this program temporarily........"  the Name of the Program that it is blocking is "Windows Live Onecare User Agent"

To me that means that it is blocking itself.  Is this ODD?

Thanks for any help.  I will keep the window up on my screen until you tell me what i should do.  Obviously I am inclined to ALLOW THIS PROGRAM!

BJ
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 12:30 AM

Answers

• There have been a few reports of this happening and yes, it is odd.

Open OneCare, click on change settings, go to Advanced on the firewall tab and then the Programs list. Look for the Windows Live OneCare User Agent entry, assuming it is there and blocked, and select "Allow."

If this does not resolve it, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:12 PM

All replies

• There have been a few reports of this happening and yes, it is odd.

Open OneCare, click on change settings, go to Advanced on the firewall tab and then the Programs list. Look for the Windows Live OneCare User Agent entry, assuming it is there and blocked, and select "Allow."

If this does not resolve it, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Thank you.  I will try what you suggested.  bj
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:48 PM
  • I may have a related problem and wanted it run it by the experts.  Upon startup, OneCare suddenly is reporting that a program is trying to access the firewall.  But that program seems to be OneCare itself.  The specific executable is GtCC.exe, signed by Microsoft, and the version number is 2.5.2900.3. 

Under the Advanced tab, I've a number of programs allowed, but none related to OneCare.  I'd like to cut and paste the list but it is rather lengthy.  As a second question, is there a tool that can check if these Allowed or Blocked programs are legit? 

Thanks for any assistance you provide. 

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:01 PM
  • There is no easy tool to confirm the allowed list contents, but these are programs that ran on your computer and were granted access automatically, meaning they were recognized as safe, or were allowed by you when prompted by OneCare. You'd have to search for the programs on your drive or do a web search for the program name to determine what they are if the list doesn't clearly identify it.

The Gtcc prompt shouldn't happen, since it is a part of OneCare. However, there have been a few reports of it here in the forum. I'd recommend allowing it. If it continues to prompt you, please contact support.

-steve

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:39 PM
  • My recommendation is to block it. There is some powerful malware that has appeared that can attack your computer just by accessing suitably configures malicious web pages.

If it is really nasty malware you will not be able to block it permanently and it will come back on each reboot. Keep blocking it every time.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:39 AM