Learning Manager and Bugs RRS feed

• Question

• Report your Learning Manager Bugs to this forum. Members of the Learning Product team will be addressing issues and closing the loop with you as the customer.
    Program Manager, Sustained Engineering Team
    Friday, April 4, 2008 8:02 AM

Answers

• William DeLisi said:

Hello Alicia,

I just noticed a bug in the last few weeks, not really a big deal, but in my transcript, it shows 12 tests of the actual 14 that I have passed. I thought it would update in a few weeks, but it has not. 

Best regards,
    Bill 

Thanks Bill--

I can certainly log this issue with the product team. 

Can you please open an issue at: https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&SD=lrn&WS=mylearning and once the repro steps and information is gathered from Tier 1, your issue should be passed on to the next level of support.  Once you get a number back, feel free to respond back and we can then watch for the issue to come our way.

Thanks!
    Alicia
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:19 PM

All replies

• Constantly get: An error occurred while processing your request. Please try again later.

Trying to view my cart to resume courses I've enrolled for. To say your site is slow/unreliable, is an understatement.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:09 AM
  • Hi KoM1565-- 

If you could provide me with some repro steps as to the problem you are experiencing, it would help us investigate the problem.
    • What is the course name or number of where the issue is occurring with?
    • What is the URL where you are experiencing the problem/issue when trying to log in?
    • Can you access any of your courses without a problem?
    • Have you called technical support on this issue and if so who did you call?

We are looking into a performance issue with the site right now to address the site being slow but we do have a large number of customers who can log in and access their courses without a problem.

Thanks!
    Alicia

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Hello Alicia,

I just noticed a bug in the last few weeks, not really a big deal, but in my transcript, it shows 12 tests of the actual 14 that I have passed. I thought it would update in a few weeks, but it has not. 

Best regards,
    Bill 
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:43 AM
  • The fact is for EONS now.. the "Transcript" only reports the courses completed IF AND ONLY IF the courses are still listed in your My Learning. If you "Remove" an expired course from your "My Learning" view, it will also disappear from your Transcript.

I complained to Microsoft eLearning about this SEVERAL MONTHS AGO... to date, despite going through three more versions of broken User Interfaces... it still does not properly display a COMPLETE TRANSCRIPT of all completed coursework.

In addition, the current incarnation of this broken UI now doesn't even display the EXPIRATION DATE for the courses! The only place to get the expiration date is from the Offline Course Player.

Oh. .and the OCP is broken too.. it won't actually DELETE content that's been downloaded!

Sr. Data Architect, APQC; MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:09 AM
  • William DeLisi said:

Hello Alicia,

Best regards,
    Bill 

Thanks Bill--

I can certainly log this issue with the product team. 

Can you please open an issue at: https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&SD=lrn&WS=mylearning and once the repro steps and information is gathered from Tier 1, your issue should be passed on to the next level of support.  Once you get a number back, feel free to respond back and we can then watch for the issue to come our way.

Thanks!
    Alicia
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Lawrence Garvin said:

The fact is for EONS now.. the "Transcript" only reports the courses completed IF AND ONLY IF the courses are still listed in your My Learning. If you "Remove" an expired course from your "My Learning" view, it will also disappear from your Transcript.

I complained to Microsoft eLearning about this SEVERAL MONTHS AGO... to date, despite going through three more versions of broken User Interfaces... it still does not properly display a COMPLETE TRANSCRIPT of all completed coursework.

In addition, the current incarnation of this broken UI now doesn't even display the EXPIRATION DATE for the courses! The only place to get the expiration date is from the Offline Course Player.

Oh. .and the OCP is broken too.. it won't actually DELETE content that's been downloaded!

Sr. Data Architect, APQC; MVP, MCP, MCTS

Thanks Lawrence-

When you mentioned that you complained regarding your Microsoft eLearning experience, do you know who it was reported to?  I don't believe I saw anything come my way on it.  We would certainly like to fix the site if there are definite problem occurring.

If you have an open ticket, please let me know what that is and I can try and track it down.  If now, Can you please open an issue at: https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&SD=lrn&WS=mylearning and once the repro steps and information is gathered from Tier 1, your issue should be passed on to the next level of support.  Once you get a number back, feel free to respond back and we can then watch for the issue to come our way.

Thanks!
    Alicia
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Alicia, I've been reporting, commenting, and complaining for over two years on the basic functionality deficiencies of the eLearning UI. You've probably not seen them because they predate you, and of late -- I've simply given up -- particularly since the last two UI "maintenance periods" contained no remediation of these basic issues.

I'll be happy to dig out the various threads of conversations (and promises) from my email archives.

Suffice it to say, though, that any level of usability alpha testing should have uncovered these issues:

Like -- as noted in this thread -- why does the "Transcript" only show courses currently listed in "My subscriptions" and when removed from "My subscriptions" suddenly disappears from the "Transcript". This doesn't require any extra submissions on my part; it's easily reproducible and I encourage you to try it yourself.

Why is it impossible for the OLP v4.0.x to delete local content before the expiration date? I can easily find the relevant folders and *.dat files on my hard drive and delete them. Why doesn't the checkbox/Delete button work? Again, basic usability alpha testing!

Why isn't the Web UI "Completed/Not Completed" toggle actually tied to the Progress column? Shouldn't Progress = 100% cause a course to be automatically marked as "Complete"? What's the point of wasting two columns of the UI just to allow me to arbitrarily toggle a course between "Complete" and "Not Complete" without any real association to the actual Progress I've made in the coursework?

In general, I'm frankly surprised any of these basic functionality issues even require a =customer= to open a ticket, as they should have never escaped ALPHA testing by the internal UI testing group!

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP
    Senior Data Architect, APQC, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2008)

Sr. Data Architect, APQC; MVP, MCITP, MCTS(x4), MCP
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Hi Lawrence,

If you can do me a favor, please do list all of your functional deficiencies here. I am afraid I never got them, but I am very interested in your opinion.

We have done our best to improve the UI experience, but obviously we still have much work left to be done. But I would appreciate it if customers like yourselves would let us know what your would like.

I look forward to your posts.

Thanks,
    Lead PM, Learning Manager
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Been getting error in subscription courses: "Unable to initialize the viewer. If you have installed the viewer to your computer, please re-run the Setup program. If you are accessing the viewer from a server, please contact your System Administrator."

The offline player also reports "Object expected" if the lessons are downloaded.

Sunday, November 2, 2008 4:45 AM
  • It has been brought to my attention that there were indeed problems with the offline viewer the past few days.  I have received word from the team that supports the offline viewer that these issues were addressed as of this morning.

If you are still having problems, please contact me at learnmgr@microsoft.com and I will put you in touch with the team that supports this offline player.

Thanks!
    Alicia 
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Hi Lawrence,

If you can do me a favor, please do list all of your functional deficiencies here. I am afraid I never got them, but I am very interested in your opinion.

Let's start with the three *critical* issues I mentioned in the previous post:

[1] Why does the "Transcript" only show courses currently listed in "My subscriptions" and when removed from "My subscriptions" suddenly disappears from the "Transcript".

[2] Why is it impossible for the OLP v4.0.x to delete local content before the expiration date? Why doesn't the checkbox/Delete button work?

[3] Why isn't the Web UI "Completed/Not Completed" toggle actually tied to the Progress column? Shouldn't Progress = 100% cause a course to be automatically marked as "Complete"? What's the point of wasting two columns of the UI just to allow me to arbitrarily toggle a course between "Complete" and "Not Complete" without any real association to the actual Progress I've made in the coursework?
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Let's start with the three *critical* issues I mentioned in the previous post:

[1] Why does the "Transcript" only show courses currently listed in "My subscriptions" and when removed from "My subscriptions" suddenly disappears from the "Transcript".

[2] Why is it impossible for the OLP v4.0.x to delete local content before the expiration date? Why doesn't the checkbox/Delete button work?

[3] Why isn't the Web UI "Completed/Not Completed" toggle actually tied to the Progress column? Shouldn't Progress = 100% cause a course to be automatically marked as "Complete"? What's the point of wasting two columns of the UI just to allow me to arbitrarily toggle a course between "Complete" and "Not Complete" without any real association to the actual Progress I've made in the coursework?

I see, after two months, one of these issues has now been addressed -- alas it's the issue outside the purview of the website.

Thank yous to ElementK for fixing the two known critical BUGs in the OLP.
    1. v4.0.4 of the OLP now properly runs without Administrator permissions on Windows 7 (and I assume Windows Vista, although I no longer care about Windows Vista).

2. v4.0.4 of the OLP now properly deletes content in response to checking the checkbox.

If only, now, an update to the WEB UI could be implemented to address the two previous issues noted here:

1. The "My Transcript" page only shows courses currently listed in the "My Subscriptions" or "My Learning" listings, and when a course is deleted from "My Learning" or "My Subscriptions", the course permanently disappears from the "My Transcript" page. I would be ever-so-interested in seeing a comprehensive list of the various Microsoft eLearning courses that I have completed over the past four (or more!) years.

2. The Completed/Not Completed toggle is still functionally pointless. Completing a course to 100% does not actually mark a course as "Completed", and it's trival to mark a course as "Completed" that's not actually ever been Started. Here are two current examples:

Learning Resource TitleProgressExpiration DateStatusAction
    E-Learning Course  Clinic 10077 : What's New in Windows 7 for IT Professionals 0 % 6/18/2010 Completed Mark as Complete
    Mark as Not Complete
    E-Learning Course  Clinic 10077: What's New in Windows 7 for IT Professionals 100 % 6/18/2010 Not completed Mark as Complete
    Mark as Not Complete

Oh.. did I mention that RETIRED courses cannot be removed from the My Learning list, when the REPLACEMENT course is subscribed?

And, here's an interesting observation in this example... the Action column here (from the Copy/Paste) operation displays both the "Mark as Completed" and "Mark as Not Complete" options for EACH line!!! What's with that. Did the programmer "hide" the option by setting it to White Text on a White Background, rather than setting the Hidden property to TRUE?

Anyways... I'm using the link to Open An Issue for both of these WEB UI defects. (I had hoped that deficiencies so easily reproducible would result in somebody internally opening an issue and actually fixing these critical defects.)
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 5:35 PM
  • You guys crack me up...

This morning (Sunday) I received replies to the two issues I posted yesterday:

SRX1111334912ID
    SRX1111335167ID

And both of them say exactly the same thing.

Hello, 

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.  

I recommend contacting our Regional Service Center for further assistance or information regarding this issue. You may contact them directly by telephone or email:

Telephone: (800) 636-7544. They are available Monday - Friday 6:30 A.M. - 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.
    E-mail: MCPHelp@microsoft.com

I hope the information is helpful and appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Sreekanth
    Microsoft Customer Service Representative

Now, Why on God's Green Earth would the Regional Service Center have *SQUAT* to do with fixing design deficiencies in the Microsoft Learning website??? And why, pray tell, would I want to involve MCPHelp in this conversation -- the issue has absolutely nothing to do with certification, certification exams, or certification training courses - it has to do with the WEB-based User Interface on a microsoft.com site.

Oh.. and this footer in the message:

If you have any feedback about your Online Customer Service experience, please send it to my manager, Harpreet Singh, by clicking the link below. Please be sure to include the name of my manager in the subject field.
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6998852

What else could I possibly say to Mr. Harpreet Singh, except that the reply of Sreekanth (no last name given) was Totally Useless.

Alicia.. I can only hope you've noticed these updates to this thread and have read these messages. Considering that I'm complaining about design deficiencies that have now existed for *YEARS*, I can only hope you appreciate how absolutely frustrating and discouraging this experience has been.

1. You tell me to "submit an issue".
    2. I directly reply to you with two very specific and critical deficiencies in the web interface.
    3. Two months go by and *nothing* (not even a reply to my message in this thread).
    4. Finally... being continually frustrated by the dysfunction in the Microsoft eLearning website, I actually did "submit an issue"...

And the best I get is a boilerplate email reply from a first-name-only first-level HelpDesk person, whose best "answer" is to tell me to call the Regional Service Center or email MCPHelp.

And ya'll want people to pay $$MONEY$$ to access this eLearning Courseware??!!??

Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

Oh.. did I mention that RETIRED courses cannot be removed from the My Learning list, when the REPLACEMENT course is subscribed?

I am also frustrated that the Retired courses cannot be removed from My Learning. Can we expect a fix for this issue?
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:43 AM
  • Hello Everyone,
    We contacted the engineering team and came to know that we don't support bulk delete at present. However, this is one of the feature requests that are being considered for future release.  We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks, Prakash Waghwani Microsoft E-Learning Support Team
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:53 PM