Migrating CRM RRS feed

• Question

• We're trying to migrate a clients CRM setup from MSDN edition to DynamicsCRM 4.0 WorkGroup. However, when we try to import the organisation we run into the following problems when trying to map users by selecting "Auto-Map" users and the Auto-Map settings to Active Directory, we get the following message:

"At least the setup user needs to be mapped before this organization can be imported."

I'm at a loss as to how we can proceed.

Like I stated previously, the client was using an MSDN copy rather from the MAPS so we disabled all but 5 users from the live database, backed up and restored onto the new server.

Heres what we've done so far:

Migrated SBS03 to SBS08
    OLDCRMServer is still accessible after migration - Proves that CRM is using AD authentication
    Backed up OLDCRMServer CRM DB
    Restored OLDCRMServer CRM DB onto NEWCRMServer.
    Ran Dyanmics for WorkGroup installer.
    Created Temp company under Deployment Manager
    Imported Organization - Completes but initially we had the logon error of too many users. Disabled all but 5 and backed up and restored again.

Simon

Monday, October 19, 2009 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Simon,

A couple items to check and verify:
    --You are running the import as an administrator user on the server and sql server
    --The user your are logged on while running the import IS one of the mapped users?
    --The original user used to setup crm IS also one of the mapped users ?

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

A couple items to check and verify:
    --You are running the import as an administrator user on the server and sql server
    --The user your are logged on while running the import IS one of the mapped users?
    --The original user used to setup crm IS also one of the mapped users ?

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Is the account being used a "Deployment admistrator".  You can set that up in the Deployment Manager Utility.

The account used for installation is the first "DA" so you have to be logged in with that account or another "DA" in order to add yourself.

That "too many users' sounds like license issue.  How many SQL users can you have on that server?

There are several resolutions:

. Go to the deployment manager and right click and choose import organizaton.
    If you dont have an Enterprise license key, you will be prompted to delete the organization that you created. This will not delete the SQL Server database. This will only remove the organization out of the Microsoft Dynamics CRM deployment.

Type the SQL server name to which you restored the SQL Server database in the SQL Server box, select the organization database in the Orgnization database box, and then click Next.
    In the Display name field and in the Name field, type the organization name, and then click Next.
    Note The organization name is a unique name for the organization database. This organization name will be used in the URL to access the organization database. There is a 30 character limit for the organization name.
    In the Report Server URL box, type the URL address of the Report Server, and then click Next.
    In the Select Method for Mapping page, select a method to map users, and then click Next.
    As soon as all users are mapped, click Next.
    Click Next after the system requirements checks are completed.
    Click Import to start the Import Organization Wizard.

Another method could be to set the access mode to full for the user you want to map.
    Go to the source instance of CRM as another user that has the system adminstrator role, double click the  user you want to map to the new org and select full access.
    Backup the Org databases and restore it to the new environment. Then map the import user to the modified user account in the imported organization and continue with the import.

Let us know how you make out.

Friday, October 30, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Hi Curt,

Thanks for the info.

The old server has an MSDN copy of Dynamics but to fall into the licensing model they actually have, we need to use the 5-user limit. i.e Workgroup. The client has disabled all but 5 users onthe source.

On the source server, logged on as User1, I see:

Settings -> Users -> 5 Users listed. User1,User2,User3,User4,User5

I have temporarily set one of these listed users as a Domain Admin and logged onto the Destination server.

On the Destination server:

SQL: MSCRM_CONFIG, DECOY_MSCRM, DYNAMICSCRM_MSCRM, CompanyName databases are already created.

When I open up Deployment Manager on the Destination server and choose Import Organisation

Deployment Administrators:

domain\Administrator
    domain\User1

Organisations:
    CRMOLD (Default)

Servers:
    ServerName - Enabled - 4.0.7333.1347 - FullServer, SQL Server

When I run the Import Organization wizard:

SQL Server: DestinationServer
    Organization Database: CompanyName

Next,

Displayname and Name are set to CompanyName

Next,

Report server: http://destinationserver/ReportServer

Next,

Auto-Map users & Active Directory account name selected

Next,

Users are all mapped (The list displays disabled users)

When I click on Next, I then get the following:

"At least the setup user needs to be mapped before this organization can be imported."

I'm at a loss here :(

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Hi.

Going through your issue and responses, we are also experiencing the same issue and not been able to get it sorted.

Not sure if you've been able to get more support / assistance?

Thank You
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:50 AM
  • Ok, I have been to clients that have CRM deployed where they forgot the account that was used to install crm.

That account should be in the original installation account.
    So the account that setup the organization is in the list of users, correct?
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:01 PM