Windows Live One Care Back Up RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Live One Care Back Up can't find my external HD durring the configuration process it only sees my CD. I can see my harddrive from my computer and I can transfer files back and forth yet Windows Live One Care Back Up can not see it therefore I can't utilze the back-up utility. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

LJPAce
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:21 PM

Answers

• Have you ever used OneCare backup or is this the first time that you are trying to configure the backup to use the external drive? If you had backup using a different destination, you may need to reset the backup plan first. See the top of the forum for how to reset the plan.

Do you have any utilities installed for the external drive supplied by the vendor? It is possible that the vendor software is blocking OneCare from accessing the drive for backup.

Is the external drive attached via USB, firewire or eSATA? If it is the latter, OneCare sees this as an internal drive and it cannot be used for backup without a workaround (see the post at the top of the forum for how to configure Centralized backup to use an internal drive).

If you are unable to configure the drive for backup and it is attached via USB or Firewire, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:58 PM

All replies

• Have you ever used OneCare backup or is this the first time that you are trying to configure the backup to use the external drive? If you had backup using a different destination, you may need to reset the backup plan first. See the top of the forum for how to reset the plan.

Do you have any utilities installed for the external drive supplied by the vendor? It is possible that the vendor software is blocking OneCare from accessing the drive for backup.

Is the external drive attached via USB, firewire or eSATA? If it is the latter, OneCare sees this as an internal drive and it cannot be used for backup without a workaround (see the post at the top of the forum for how to configure Centralized backup to use an internal drive).

If you are unable to configure the drive for backup and it is attached via USB or Firewire, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks for your responce. This is the first time I have tried to use the back up utility on this computer. It has a 20GB externial hard drive with lots of space and I have beed backing up My Doc Folder Manually. I can rerive a file, I can copy a file and I can open a file from the hard drive. It is attached via a HUSB Port and Yes the Bus Link Drivers are installed otherwise it will not opperate on the windows XP system.

Do you have a link or a number for support?

Thanks,

LJPace
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:42 PM
  • My previous post includes the directions on how to contact support.
    If you need to install drivers to use the external drive, then it is not likely a standard USB connected drive. Even in XP, plugging in an external drive via USB does not require providing drivers. I suspect that your external drive is not compatible with OneCare and I'd advise seeking an alternative backup solution that will use the drive since OneCare is at end of life. Your subscription will be fully supported through end of term, but once it ends you will no longer be able to use backup from OneCare.
    -steve

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:48 PM