What Tablet supports Streets & trips RRS feed

• Question

• I have used Streets and Trips for several years and love it, I want to buy a new tablet so that I can have more flexibility in my travels.

I need to know which tablet to purchase that will support S&T, can't seem to get much help from most of the tablet makers especially in the retail stores.

Can someone offer me some guidance.

Thanks

Michael

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Many tablets don't run Windows, and S&T needs Windows operating system. Look for a tablet PC that comes with Microsoft Windows.

Laptop GPS World

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:22 AM
  • Hi Michael -

Looking for a tablet myself.  The vast majority are running Android.  Ho - Hum....I'm looking for more - specifically running S&T.

Not sure when you want to buy....As a part of your thought process, consider that Msoft is coming out with a new OS that is recieving pretty decent reviews for the tablet....

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7-57386760-78/windows-8-beta-hands-on-with-microsofts-tablet-friendly-os/

Maybe available in the Fall?  Maybe too long for you to wait....but certainly something to think about.

http://www.windows8news.com/2011/06/16/microsoft-vp-hints-windows-8-release-fall-2012/

Keith O'Brien

Friday, March 2, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Windows 8 may have the answer.  As I understand it, Win 8 will look superficially like Apple/Android but will have good ole Windows (and therefore Windows applications) running behind it.  Therefore, we can have our app-toys and serious computing just under the surface of the tablet/phone slickness.  That should appeal.  Perhaps that is what S&T 2012 is being held up for. 
    Friday, March 2, 2012 9:28 PM
  • By the way - saw this cool tablet set up for motorcycle at LaptopGpsworld.com

Keith O'Brien

Saturday, March 3, 2012 3:01 PM
  • So, is there any version or trick to use S&T on android device? 

RSS Facebook Youtube Twitter Linkedin

Friday, November 30, 2012 12:48 AM
  • S&T is windows software.  Android is not Windows! And I am not aware of any emulators - even for the newer large screen Android devices. So, no.

Yes Android is based on Linux, so you might think Wine or another emulator might be possible with rooting. However, Android is based on ARM chipsets and not Intel x86. S&T won't even run on Windows RT (which also requires an ARM chipset).

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Friday, November 30, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Wait!

My Acers Iconia W500 tablet works fine with Autoroute 2011 after upgrade to a 128 GByte ssd and Win8. Use an MS-Office compatible wireless Laser Presenter in its mouse modus to zoom in/out your S&T maps (only essential for free hand driving)

Friday, November 30, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Just finding some format that will open ST is not enough. It also needs CPU power behind it. I have use ST extensively on  4 yr trip throughout the US. The route has 300 waypoints and my netbook will not run it. I need my bigger more powerful notebook to do it. I find the bigger one (15") has too large a screen and it interferes with dash visibility. I cannot find a PC with 10' screen and more power than the Atom CPU. So, I broke my route in multiple smaller segments and kept my 10" netbook. If you plan to make many waypoints routes, beware of the power of your CPU. Tablets might not do it. In am awaiting newer tablets to see their power and try them BEFORE I buy.
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 7:55 PM