Money 2006 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Money 2006 installed on my lap top. I have NEVER used it online. I have not been able to get into the program since about May 2014. Every time I sign on (offline) it says my password is incorrect so I have gone online 2 times and changed my password and it still says my password is incorrect and will not let me get into the program. I can not even open saved files without the password!  I have the disk and have tried to reload the program but it still asks for my password and says its wrong! WTH!?  I need to do my simple accounting. Is there something wrong with microsoft????
    Monday, August 11, 2014 10:46 PM

All replies

• Going to buy quickbooks!

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:33 AM
  • Money throws up a "wrong password" message for a number of different reasons, and not just because a password is actually wrong.

You say you have reloaded the program and one reason for the "wrong password" message is that the application (the ***.exe file) used to make your data (***.mny) file has been replaced by an older version of the ***.exe file. Another reason is that there is a mismatch between the regional version used to make the data file and the regional version of the currently installed application (this can happen if you buy a replacement disk on eBay from someone who did not accurately describe what they were selling).

Other folk here may be able to give you more help if you tell us the complete version numbers of the critical (***.exe) files on your lap top.

What happened in May 2014; did you update the Operating System on your lap top? Have any other applications misbehaved since May?

Teabag

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:03 AM
  • In addition to Teabag's suggestions, please note that if, in the past, you were using a Microsoft Live ID email and password to log into your Money file, you were using an online capability.  Money was verifying the entered ID and password with its servers when you made those entries. Those servers are now gone.  This means that any changes you make to your Microsoft Live ID will be invisible to your Money program.  Your Money program will expect the ID and password that were in effect when online services were discontinued.

Try the following:

- disconnect from the internet.  Pull your internet plug or turn off your computer's wi-fi connection

- check "I want to sign into Money directly without access to all online services"

- enter the email and the password that were in effect when Money was working

If this fails, try the same procedure with a backup copy of your Money file.  It is possible that your current Money file has somehow become corrupted.

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:08 PM