why cant i turn on my firewall??? RRS feed

• Question

• when i try and turn on my firewall because it says my computer is at risk, i get a popup saying "onecare cant change ur firewall settings at this time. please try again later or restart computer. if problem persists please contact onecare support". i have restarted my computer several time and it still wont let me do it. whats wrong? :-(
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 12:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• Make sure no other antivirus or firewall is installed in the system.

Try this tool, save it first before running:

onecare firewall repair tool

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7ee728a2-3c67-4a12-8d7e-954e86233206&DisplayLang=en

If that wont resolve the problem, try contacting support:

How to reach support (FAQ) -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, June 1, 2008 12:34 AM
  • i tried the onecare firewall repair tool and it said i need administrative privileges to run this tool. it says i might have another firewall program but i dont.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:08 AM
  • I will assume you're Windows Vista...

If you are.

Go to the OneCare firewall repair tool

Right click on it

Choose run as administrator.

Or if you're using Windows XP

Make sure you're logged in as a administrator of the computer.

If still wont work, it wil be best to contact support

How to reach support (FAQ) -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:14 AM
  • After the scheduled tune up, I clicked to view the files that were not saved. Then I clicked Repair. It was said that the repair was completed. Then I got the message that "Fire Wall is not turned on. My computer is at risk." Often I used to get this message when I turned my computer. This time I restarted after tune up as it was instructed. Still the Firewall was not on. Now it won't let me to change the Firewall Settings manually. So I click to Repair and Fix again. Now it is neither reparing nor fixing. What shall I do? Sombody help me please. I can not work with the computer until my firewall is on. Help Help Hellllllllllllpppppppppppppppppppppppp.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 12:57 PM
  •  xyz27 wrote:

After the scheduled tune up, I clicked to view the files that were not saved. Then I clicked Repair. It was said that the repair was completed. Then I got the message that "Fire Wall is not turned on. My computer is at risk." Often I used to get this message when I turned my computer. This time I restarted after tune up as it was instructed. Still the Firewall was not on. Now it won't let me to change the Firewall Settings manually. So I click to Repair and Fix again. Now it is neither reparing nor fixing. What shall I do? Sombody help me please. I can not work with the computer until my firewall is on. Help Help Hellllllllllllpppppppppppppppppppppppp.

Clicked "repair" in what? What is "files that were not saved?"

Try the firewall repair tool - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 4:21 PM
  • I do not know what LIve One Care was asking to repair? That was the message popped up on my screen. When Live One Care was finished scanning and tune up, it was always said how many files were saved and how many were not. It was asked to check for details. When I clicked the "check for details" it was said that some files were encrypted that Live One Care was not able to save them. Discrypt the files first and then run tune up again. In order to discrypt the files, I needed to open the Windows XP and looked for the source file that were 1005 code. I never had seen this code on source file. But I had 1001. Therefore, I was exploring to find out more about this code. As I was fiddling with my computer to find out about this code, I noticed this message popped up saying "Firewall was not on, my computer was at risk." Then a window was popped up saying repir or fix.  

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:36 AM
  • The additional information is helpful. What you saw was that OneCare was unable to backup some files during backup. "Fiddling" isn't too descriptive, but it doesn't matter. :-) The fact that the firewall was off and needed to be turned on would be why the Fix-It button was offered, though that didn't work.

So, at this point, have you run the firewall repair tool? Is OneCare working normally? I think you may want to contact support if problems are continuing.

-steve

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:37 PM
  •  

Steve, sorry. I could not find these words "Mark as Correct Answer." However, the link that you have emailed to me was very helpful and needless to say that my problem was solved. The firewall was on righ a way and Live One Care was/is working very well. Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:37 AM
  • Glad to read that it was resolved. Not to worry about the alert you received from the forum. The post was already marked as answered. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:19 PM