none
Still an error activating windows XP 45131 RRS feed

• Question

•  

So i recently whiped my hard drive and reinstalled windows. Now it wont let me activate my windows online, it keeps giving me error 45131. I dont have phone acces, so i cant call in and register it. Anyone have any help. i saw a thread on this befor but a Lori MS answered and said to start a new thread if problem persists. I cant update anything untill i fix this. Please Help
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:16 AM

Answers

• ************************************************************************************************************

45131 Error message resolution:

We have identified the problem as it being a suspension of online activation due to the maximum number of times a machine with Windows XP can be activated (via Internet). This can also occur after a reinstallation of Windows XP,(provided that your use of XP maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA)). The next course of action is to contact Microsoft offline/telephone to activate the genuine Windows XP product

Please follow the steps for activation offline via telephone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1) Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activate Windows.  (If for some reason the menu entry is missing:  Start>Run, type oobe/msoobe.exe /a and click OK.) 

2) Choose Activate Windows by Telephone and follow the prompts.  If the automated telephone activation is not accepted, you will be offered the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Choose that option. 

3) The rep will ask a few questions for the purpose of confirming that you are still using your license for XP in accordance with the EULA.  If so, the rep will issue an activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Lori MS

**********************************************************************************************************

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:36 PM
  • To all who replied on this thread,

Please file a service request using the weblink below concerning the 45131 error message you are receiving during activation:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029

Please add the installation id's to activate the product in the case notes. (this is a series of 9 six digit numbers) 

The IID should be displayed during the activation process via the phone.

Here is the process to activate your xp product via phone:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

Please reply back to this thread with the case number only once you have finished creating a case.

Thank you,

Lori MS

Thursday, May 8, 2008 6:20 PM

All replies

• Having the same issue.

Reinstalled XP Home from scratch yesterday and getting error 45131 during online activation since yesterday.

What's happening Microsoft?

Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:45 PM
  •  

fattkiddlee,

Please read this hotfix article as this may be another reason why you are having activation issues:

Repeatedly Prompted to Complete Activation for Windows XP Media Center Edition After You Enter Product Key:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811632

Lori MS

Thursday, May 1, 2008 9:34 PM
  • I have the same problem. What does message 45131 mean?
    Is this a problem with MS activation server?
    Friday, May 2, 2008 8:08 AM
  •  

I'm getting that too with XP Home...anyone have a workaround yet?
    Friday, May 2, 2008 1:36 PM
  •  

Yes, it's even happenning to me for Windows XP Professional (version 2002).

Is this some validation server downtime at Microsoft or what? It's been this way for a week.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:24 AM
  • This is a serious issue because I can't get all of the critical updates for XP without activating Windows XP. Can we get some official Microsoft word on this?

Saturday, May 3, 2008 1:05 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. I'm located in Denmark. I've tried activating by phone and was told by a support rep that the servers are down. It's been like this since friday (2nd of May). That's a LOT of downtime. Perhaps the Microsofties who know how to fix this are all away enjoying their weekend...
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 7:18 PM
  •  

Just did a reformat yesterday went to put in my activate windows key.. same error
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 12:24 AM
  • To all who replied on this thread,

Please file a service request using the weblink below concerning the 45131 error message you are receiving during activation:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029

Please add the installation id's to activate the product in the case notes. (this is a series of 9 six digit numbers) 

The IID should be displayed during the activation process via the phone.

Here is the process to activate your xp product via phone:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Please reply back to this thread with the case number only once you have finished creating a case.

Thank you,

Lori MS

Thursday, May 8, 2008 6:20 PM
  • There is a work around to that problem without emailing or calling C.S i had the same problem just email if you want the fix as i will not post it on a microsoft forum stat101ca@hotmail.com

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:32 AM
  • I do not understand why should I spend 40 minutes on the phone activating Windows when I have an original and legitimate license. My time worth more than the license.

It must be a simpler way that calling...

Anyone?

Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:47 PM
  •  

1067483281 case code....getting 45131 error during activation. tried the phone method and was hung up on. will not upgrade to vista
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:02 AM
  • I just activated over phone, and did have to talk to a representative, but the whole call was only around 5 minutes. It sure isn't a large waste of time at all.

EDIT: If you accidentially closed the window before you could put the IID in the Support Case maker, how would you go about getting the number again?
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:03 AM
  • The phone call was required but it worked.  I have submitted IID numbers under the following:

Incident Title: Reinstall of XP with SP3 gives activation error 45131

Support Request Number: 1068383567

There is some speculation going around about this problem.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:49 AM
  • Support Request Number: 1068562023

Incident Title: Can not activate...

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:48 PM
  •  

Sunday, June 1, 2008 8:15 PM
  • ************************************************************************************************************

45131 Error message resolution:

We have identified the problem as it being a suspension of online activation due to the maximum number of times a machine with Windows XP can be activated (via Internet). This can also occur after a reinstallation of Windows XP,(provided that your use of XP maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA)). The next course of action is to contact Microsoft offline/telephone to activate the genuine Windows XP product

Please follow the steps for activation offline via telephone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1) Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activate Windows.  (If for some reason the menu entry is missing:  Start>Run, type oobe/msoobe.exe /a and click OK.) 

2) Choose Activate Windows by Telephone and follow the prompts.  If the automated telephone activation is not accepted, you will be offered the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Choose that option. 

3) The rep will ask a few questions for the purpose of confirming that you are still using your license for XP in accordance with the EULA.  If so, the rep will issue an activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Lori MS

**********************************************************************************************************

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:36 PM
  • I reinstalled windows xp from scratch and everything went ok. After i logged on to my user, windows prompt me to activate windows before i could use it. If i cancel the activation it sings me out of my user, if i try to activate it online it says that it cant connect to the internet, and i cant do it by phone either because the maintenance numbers dont exist.

I have the big number im supposed to give to the guy in the phone but there isnt a call center to retrieve the code. Cant access control panel either because like i said before, if i cancel the activation, windows sings me out. Help.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Stat101,

Curious why would you not post here so others may view a resolution should they do a search? What is your proposed fix?  I am very curious to know myself :-)

stephen holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:03 PM
  • Please read the post which Lori posted above your post...

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:18 PM
  • I've got it here to. fresh install of win xp pro 2002. Also, this is the first reinstall. Which means my key has been activated a whopping total of ONE TIME. So there goes Lori's theory.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:51 PM
  • If I understand correctly, it's the number of times that XP was installed fresh on the machine, not the amount of times the key was used. For me, it happened on a MSDN subscription key and it was the first time I had used it, but the machine had XP on it previously but I formatted the drive and started over. Maybe it's a desperate attempt to move people off of XP?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Bill,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. Please post all your questions in the "Discussions in Windows Update" located @:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US  Also you may use the search feature for locating a similar problem for a resolution. Another source is visit the

Product Activation Solution Center located @: 

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_prodact_master#tab0

In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Take care

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Bill,

More info for your review http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/mpa.aspx.  Activation does not have anything to do with moving people from Win XP...

Thx

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Well, I laughed out at all the rubbish answers from WGA forum volunteers here. Sorry, but can't help.

All I want to say at the beginning is, it's December already, people, and please fix it before 2009, could ya?

It is NOT that we cannot activate XP matters; it is that we cannot activate it the way it used to be really bothers.

And it is NOT that we don't know how to activate XP, of course a money knows to give MS a call; it is that we want to activate XP the way it was meant to be!

Com'n people! Don't you tell me all my fresh MSDN XP license keys can be used for online activation for only once!?

I just installed a fresh XP Pro with one fresh XP license key off my MSDN subscription, and with NOTHING changed at all, I did a instant reinstallation because of a driver issue. Then bang! It told me the license key I am using has exceeded the maximum allowance. Com'on! I just used it half an hour ago, for once, on the exact same machine with everything, including partition, unchanged.

I've been using XP for years and every once in a while, I reinstall it. Even monkey knows XP won't have any problem when activating if you reinstall it on the same PC with no hardware change or hard disk partition change.

I wanna know what in the world is happening over there at Microsoft? Are people getting crazy?!

I had been a firm supporter of Microsoft and a subscriber of MSDN, and I am thinking of switching to Mac OS seriously.

I am really shocked by this post. For one thing, this is an issue firsly got public back in May. Now it's December already, but it is still as unsolved as it was. For another, seemingly, people's plain requests here are simply way too beyond those so-called WGA Forum Volunteers' comprehension. For a OS that is 7 years old, do you really think there is any chance that any possible people who, by the way, has either TechNet or MSDN subsriptions, is not famillair with how to activate Windows XP??!!

Com'n people! Don't call yourself like that when all you can ever answer is give Microsoft a call. WE WANT THINGS TO BE RIGHT, just as what they were before.

Tell me to give you a call ONLY WHEN I have used a license key at least over five times, alright?

Don't you tell me to call Microsoft when it is just the second time I use it in a month on a same PC on a same partion of a same hard drive, or in simpler expression that most people like me would easily unserstand, a reinstllation!

I paid a lot for this premium service but all I get here is frustration and arrogance. I don't like it, really!

Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:31 PM
  • hi, 

I have just formatted my PC and when i log in Activate windows . I try to activate over the internet but i get a little problem: Online activation cannot be completed at this time. Message number : 45131.

I dont wanna activate by phone!

My PC have been formatted only ONCE before so i should be able to activate over the internet!

But why cant i do it???

looking for solutions not this ____ that these WGA Forum Volunteer give. Only thing they give you is activate by phone!

Someone please help if you have a solution to this problem.

Best wishes...

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:01 PM
  • This seem to be a real issue :-) 9months and going for 12 i guess ...
    got me a technet and MSDN account ,CCNA expert so i do know how to reinstall
    but i have the problem 45131 while activating over the internet , bah WGM's not to diss u but my 8yo old could have told me to phone in to MS
    so no solution here ...dont get me wrong i am a MS supporter but this is getting rediculous
    well then ill have to make that phone call i guess
    will let yall know how it went down :-)
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:48 AM
  • As a result of the 'super bugs' flowing on the network Worldwide of late [March 2009] I believe the increasing number of comprimised computers my organisation is repairing have had their COA exported by various root kits and trojan horse forms of malware.

Because, all of these units have hit the 45131 Activation error and have most likely had their keys used in other countries via the exploit above.

Microsoft helped us restore the genuine activation status of all the units so far, because they were the only ones with the single valid COA attached, just answer the truth when talking to the representative during telephone activation. :)
    Monday, March 30, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Probably we change some parts of computer, i change my Graphics Card before format and got 45131 error message.
    still MS. same MS
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 10:29 AM