WHS Suggestion Guide RRS feed

• General discussion

• Windows Home Server Suggestion Guide

Part I: Centralized Profile Storage and Replication

Windows Home Server should provide the ability for central storage of Windows Profiles and the option of replication of these profiles. I say replication because I don't like the idea of storing the profile only on the server and this also would reduce network traffic. It would be too cumbersome (network traffic, esp. over wireless) and risky (hard drive failure) to only store the user profile in one location therefore if it is replicated between the server and client pc's this reduces network traffic and provides for data redundancy.

After a user has installed a Windows Home Server machine on their network they would install the Windows Home Server Connector on to their client PC's. This would then give them the option of Copying, Downloading, or Merging their current profile with the one stored on the WHS. Once their client PC's have all connected to the WHS replication would occur during log on, log off, and during the Scheduled Backup to WHS.

Centralized Profile Storage would account all a users Favorites, Documents, Pictures, and Music. It would also give the ability/option to link local shortcuts for Pictures and Music to the global shares on WHS, and linking of Documents and or Favorites to the users folder on WHS.

II: Outlook Server

While this isn't a Windows Home Server improvement I list it here due to it's integration with WHS. This would mean the addition of an Outlook Server to Windows Home Server. This Outlook Server would house a users PST file and would takeover the duties of polling email servers. Newly Created Outlook Clients would be able to be used on each client PC's simultaneously eliminating the need to close one copy of Outlook in order to unlock the PST file. This Server would also allow for the addition of Outlook Web Access, taken from Exchange Server, to the WHS Web Interface.

III. TS Remote App. Integration

Currently only found in Windows Server Code Name "Longhorn", I would like to see the addition to Windows Home Server. Using this and a newly created Client Operating System would allow for the creation of Light Clients giving older PC's new life. Any further suggestions of this would be appreciated.

Any comments or suggestions on how to currently achieve these goals is appreciated.

Monday, July 9, 2007 6:03 PM

All replies

• 1) The server already backs up those files and takes snapshots too, no need and over complicated, imo.

2) Mail servers and exchange-lite have been suggested and debated. This whole new "outlook server" idea is superfluous. I already have outlook on my workstation, I don't need nor do I want another outlook "client" just to put the PST on the server and it makes WHS much more complicated for everyone..

3) When "longhorn" is no longer in beta, they can look at integrating some longhorn features but the reason WHS is build on SBS is because it's not a beta, the code is stable. Perhaps in some distant WHS service pack. Additionally, They already support XP Home, for connectors, I don't see a reason to create a special "client OS" to use old hardware, at all.

Good luck...

EDIT:
    RE: 2) Additionally, MS recommends *against* storing .PST files on network shares.

Monday, July 9, 2007 6:16 PM
  • The reason I want profile replication is so that it can be seemless between all client PC's if I'm forced to change workstations then I want all user data to be updated in realtime.

Again the reason for an outlook server is so that I can change workstations and still use my global data.

Monday, July 9, 2007 6:20 PM
  •  FanCarolina wrote:

The reason I want profile replication is so that it can be seemless between all client PC's if I'm forced to change workstations then I want all user data to be updated in realtime.

Again the reason for an outlook server is so that I can change workstations and still use my global data.

You can already move your profile to the server but, as you know, you end up with more network traffic and slow boots. That's why I prefer not to use it.

As for the non-existent "outlook server," like I said, MS doesn't recommend storing a PST on a network share and I'm not interested in needing 2 outlook clients. If you think they're going to modify Exchange or Outlook (in Office) for WHS you're just dreaming, it's not realistic.
    Monday, July 9, 2007 6:23 PM
  • Can you direct me to an artical that tells me how to set up roaming profiles on a non-domain environment, I have both Vista and XP clients. I know how to copy the profile over and then change the profile path in Computer Managment however it still tells me there is a problem when I log into the account. So it's still using the local copy.
    Monday, July 9, 2007 6:42 PM
  •  FanCarolina wrote:
    Can you direct me to an artical that tells me how to set up roaming profiles on a non-domain environment, I have both Vista and XP clients. I know how to copy the profile over and then change the profile path in Computer Managment however it still tells me there is a problem when I log into the account. So it's still using the local copy.

Can't help you there, I don't use roaming profiles, the only times I have were in AD environments. You might try a search to see if there's any help there.

Good luck...

Monday, July 9, 2007 7:16 PM