Ok, ready to do a reinstall of WHS - suggestions? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I've had it with all the "System" files taking up so much space that I can't recover (1.6TB), not to mention performance issues that I can't seem to fix either regardless of trying a dozen different things including a new nic, cables, trying different routers, etc. I'm in the process of copying / backing up all my shared data and am going to completely go and full reformat all the drives and start fresh.

So please help me determine what's the best thing to do.

Should I chkdsk after a full format?
    A full format should detect bad sectors, etc should it not? Should I format with 64k clusters? I plan on using another PC to do the formatting using Windows 7.
    Is it safe to just copy the shared data off the external backup onto the WHS as long as I use the network path (and not direct to D:\shares) once the WHS is back up and running?
    My newly discovered BDBB add-in I will use to backup one old PC's backups, otherwise I don't care about my others.

My WHS consists of:

4 x 2TB WD20EADS-00RB60
    1 x 1TB WD1001FALS-00J7B1 (system drive)

I had a failed WD20EADS-00RB60 drive but WDC replaced it with a WD20EADS-11R6B1 which is advance format. I installed the jumper, but have another WD20EADS-00RB60 in my external backup so will probably just swap out the two, and use the advance format (with jumper installed) in my external backup. I'd rather not worry about advance format issues even if the jumper is installed. It's already seeming to cause issues, so would rather it act just like a regular hard drive externally.

Thanks for helping with my sanity check.

Friday, January 7, 2011 6:02 PM

All replies

• Running chkdsk /r on a disk isn't a bad idea. But as for cluster size, use whatever you like if you format the drives. Windows Home Server uses 4K clusters exclusively, so whatever you choose will be reformatted when you reinstall.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Thanks, good point didn't even think about that. duh. Doesn't a full format more or less do a full chkdsk of the drive during the full format?
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 12:59 AM
  • I don't believe it does a surface scan, which is what the /r parameter does.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 2:36 AM
  • Great, thanks, I'll give it a shot. Considering I'll have five 2TB drives and one 1TB to format and chkdsk, this could take a while.
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 3:04 AM
  • I had a failed WD20EADS-00RB60 drive but WDC replaced it with a WD20EADS-11R6B1 which is advance format. I installed the jumper

You sure about an WD EADS drive being advance format?  My understanding it's the WD EARS drives that have that and need the jumper. 
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 3:21 AM
  • The replacement drive is EADS but it's a different designation: 11R6B1 instead of 00RB60.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 5:29 AM
  • According to WD website:

that should not be an Advanced Format Drive.  However, since it is recertified, who knows. 

Also, from a link on the same site, the following appears:

"Advanced Format (AF)

Technology being adopted by WD and

other drive manufacturers as one of

multiple ways to continue growing

hard drive capacities. AF is a more

efficient media format that enables

increased areal densities. (RS and

RSDTL models only)"

Yours is not a RS or RSDTL model, it is a DS, so it should not be an AF drive.  I know what your label states, but the web site contradicts.  I would call WD Customer support and let them explain.  See below for your region and number.

800.ASK.4WDC North America

800.832.4778 Spanish

+800.6008.6008 Asia Pacific

00800.27549338 Europe

(toll free where available)

+31.880062100 Europe/Middle East/Africa

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

The replacement drive is EADS but it's a different designation: 11R6B1 instead of 00RB60.

BullDawg
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 6:18 AM
  • I am telling you that it is an advance format drive. I don't care what their site or specs say, it is clearly advanced format, has a new firmware. WDAlign indicates this one (11R6B1) as advanced format but the other four WD20EADS-00RB60 drives that I have are not. Do a brief web search and others have noted this as well.
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 1:05 PM