Automatic Bckup and Hibernation Issue on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Automatic Backup does not work on my two client systems.
    They are using Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate x64 both fully updated. (SP1 etc)
    Windows Home Server does turn on the clients, but stops there.
    I can "Manually" backup from clients or WHS. The clients stay live and do not go back to "Sleep".
    They were both tried in "Sleep" mode and "Hibernation with no affect.
    This was "before" the new Power Pack 1 Beta was released. I have installed the upgrade and while the "WHS Connector" does work for the x64 client, there is no change in ether unit.
    Last, WHS Toolkit will not install on the x64 client, but will install on the Home Premium system.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:07 PM

Answers

• (moved to PP1 forum)

You have a couple of different issues there. The toolkit not working on the x64 client is a known issue, and will be corrected with the next update to the toolkit. The power management issues should be submitted as bugs on Connect. Please remember to include server and client logs when you do so.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

If you haven't got the toolkit installed, then the easiest way is as follows:

XP Machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista Machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Just zip them up and note them in your bug report.

Colin

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:05 PM

All replies

• (moved to PP1 forum)

You have a couple of different issues there. The toolkit not working on the x64 client is a known issue, and will be corrected with the next update to the toolkit. The power management issues should be submitted as bugs on Connect. Please remember to include server and client logs when you do so.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:38 PM
  • I thought you need WHS Toolkit working to get that information.
    Since Toolkit works on the Vista Home Premium unit I will generate something from there and look over my x64 for logs.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Hi,

If you haven't got the toolkit installed, then the easiest way is as follows:

XP Machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista Machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Just zip them up and note them in your bug report.

Colin

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:05 PM
  • I submitted the logs and "Bug Report". Received a request to make a small change in the registry.
    I did the change and after two day there is still no change.
    No automatic backup and units do not return to hibernation.

Just checked the WHS due to a warning on my unit and the "five day" not backed up message is listed for both my clients.
    I am only able to do manual backups. What a drag. Sad
    Friday, June 27, 2008 10:34 AM
  • Did you note in your bug report that the registry edit didn't work? I don't have the feedback ID, so I can't tell without asking. Smile
    Friday, June 27, 2008 3:07 PM
  • Feedback ID is: FeedbackID=352802

The change request said to give it a few days, but I still see no auto backup and my main unit was on when I got home from work. I will have to shutdown my unit to avoid wasted power usage.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 9:28 PM
  • The registry change was to generate additional logging information. Have you allowed your clients to go through a couple of additional (failed) wake/backup cycles then uploaded additional zipped logs as requested?
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:02 PM
  • I tried to send bug report with attachments of latest logs and the "Connect" link for bug report fails.
    Will tray again tomorrow.
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Did I miss something, or has something new been released that I missed?  AFAIK, the connector software never had the ability to put a machine back to sleep/hibernation after waking and performing a backup.  The power settings on the client need to be edited to put the "on AC" computer to sleep after a reasonable amount of time.
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:14 PM
  • kegobeer,

No, you haven't missed anything. It's still the same - in theory - the Connector software should place the Client in the same state it woke it from.

Colin

Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:52 PM
  • Colin,
    So that I understand correctly, WHS after the time limit settings are met (6am) or after the completion of the backup the client should go back to is previous state (Hibernation in my case).
    I have set the power setting for AC to Hibernated after a set time.

For Warren, I sent the new logs in this AM. Hope they help.
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:30 PM