none
Forum Navigation could be a bit easier.... RRS feed

• Question

• A thought hit me as I was browsing some of the royally off topic posts in THIS forum. And it reminded me of a sort of pet peeve that I forgot to ask about...

Back a few months or so ago, you could go to the top level of the forums for Technet and you could see pretty much all discussions - client OS, server OS, Office, and so forth all in one spot. But somewhere along the way, those options got limited to JUST the Client OS stuff, JUST the Server OS stuff and so forth. So if someone posts something related to Server 2008 R2 in, say, the Windows 7 Misc forum, it used to be just a matter of going to the top level of forums and find the right forum to redirect the guy's post.

But you can't do that any more. How come?

Speaking of Off topic flotsam and jetsam... Is something broken - redirecting stuff here? Or are people just posting in the first place they happen to find?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 11:37 AM

Answers

• They're trying to attract traffic to the group's home page.  The link is now in the My Forums box, "Forums Home".

Hans Passant.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 12:31 PM
  • If you go to Technet Forums, and select a group such as Windows 7, you are no longer under TechNet Forums!

You are now under Windows Client TechCenter.  The "breadcrumbs" used to be more useful.
    This was a feature introduced to certain Forum Categories such as Windows 7. Take Visual C# forums for example, the breadcrumb also navigates you to the Visual C# Dev Center site. To navigate back to the main Forums, you have to click on "Forums Home" under "My Forums Links". This feature was introduced to keep the user in context if say you're coming from a Dev or Tech Center site. Say you come from MSDN\Visual C#, clicking on the Forums tab will navigate you to the C# Forums and Vice Versa (including the breadcrumb). Note that not all Forums are strucuted this way because some Forum don't have a dev or tech center site (yet).

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Thanks for all the feedback. I'll pass this along to our team.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Friday, August 14, 2009 2:03 PM

All replies

• They're trying to attract traffic to the group's home page.  The link is now in the My Forums box, "Forums Home".

Hans Passant.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Hans -

Ok... But if you go to the Technet forums for say, Windows 7 - you can't get to these forums, nor the forums for Windows Server products. You can only easily navigate to XP and Vista forums. You can also go to the Client TechCenter forum listings at the top level. Used to be you could get to forums for all the other stuff too.

The first time I found this out, I had to "hack" a URL by changing "client" to "server" to get to the server forums. All I'm saying - there should be an easier way to get from A to B.

Monday, August 10, 2009 7:33 PM
  • I don't see the problem.  Nevertheless, visit your favorite forums and click the "Add To My Forums" link, just below the forum title.  Click My Forums on the upper right (wait 5 minutes), you'll have all your favorite forums together on one page.  The My Forums Threads link just below that gives you only threads from those selected forums.
    Hans Passant.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Wolfie, I see what you mean.  I guess I have noticed that.

If you go to Technet Forums, and select a group such as Windows 7, you are no longer under TechNet Forums!

You are now under Windows Client TechCenter.  The "breadcrumbs" used to be more useful.

Note, this adds to the Forum Brand Confusion.
    • Edited by Brian Borg Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Hans -

So in order to really get around the forums - basically, I'd need to add pretty much every forum group, at the very least, so I can quickly navigate there and get a link. That's assuming I can even get there in the first place. Seems to be quite a bit of trouble for as often as I'd be using it. It's like the new layout is making things more complicated than they used to be. That generally isn't regarded as progress...

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Hmm, your needs are unusual, I don't really get them.  At this point you should perhaps propose a specific scheme that will help you do what you want to do.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:44 AM
  • If you go to Technet Forums, and select a group such as Windows 7, you are no longer under TechNet Forums!

This was a feature introduced to certain Forum Categories such as Windows 7. Take Visual C# forums for example, the breadcrumb also navigates you to the Visual C# Dev Center site. To navigate back to the main Forums, you have to click on "Forums Home" under "My Forums Links". This feature was introduced to keep the user in context if say you're coming from a Dev or Tech Center site. Say you come from MSDN\Visual C#, clicking on the Forums tab will navigate you to the C# Forums and Vice Versa (including the breadcrumb). Note that not all Forums are strucuted this way because some Forum don't have a dev or tech center site (yet).

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Just a comment as I don't image this is going to be changed.

If I am in the forums, I am in the forums and I want links to be logical from a forum point-of-view. (Which means they point to the forum structure)

If I am in a web site I want the links to go to web sites. If they exceptionally go to a forum then I expect to *transfer* to the forums.

What I don't want is a mix of web sites and forums. 

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Friday, August 14, 2009 6:41 AM
  • This was a feature introduced to certain Forum Categories such as Windows 7. Take Visual C# forums for example, the breadcrumb also navigates you to the Visual C# Dev Center site. To navigate back to the main Forums, you have to click on "Forums Home" under "My Forums Links". This feature was introduced to keep the user in context if say you're coming from a Dev or Tech Center site. Say you come from MSDN\Visual C#, clicking on the Forums tab will navigate you to the C# Forums and Vice Versa (including the breadcrumb). Note that not all Forums are strucuted this way because some Forum don't have a dev or tech center site (yet).

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead

Don - I really don't mind the way things are structured - except that it could be maybe 2 layers deeper. First layer could cover all Microsoft OS's. Second layer would branch out into Client stuff, Server stuff, Mobile OS stuff, etc... The third layer would be the current top layer.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Thanks for all the feedback. I'll pass this along to our team.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Friday, August 14, 2009 2:03 PM