Can't keep WHS running. RRS feed

• Question

• Boy do I need help, after reading this post I realized how much power my WHS was using 119w. So I tried for the life of me to find a low power system, after weeks of research I went out and purchased a Asus M2NBP-VM CSM socket AM2 mobo with a sempron 1150LE 45W.  After installing WHS I find out that this board does not have any windows server 2003 drivers (although it showed some on the asus website) and when I install the XP win2k, vista drivers the system becomes unstable and constantly restarts. The chipset is Northbridge Nvidia quadro NVS210s GPU and Souuthbridge Nvidia nForce 430B MCP, please does anyone have any suggestions.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:40 PM

All replies

• You may need to update the BIOS for the motherboard; I see on the ASUS web site that the CPU you have installed isn't supported by early BIOS versions.

If updating to a new BIOS doesn't work, you may need to look for a different motherboard which has Windows Server 2003 drivers. I don't see anything on the ASUS web site that says that board supports Windows Server 2003, and unfortunately some XP drivers just don't work with WHS (for whatever reason). There have also been other reports in the forums of people having trouble getting boards with nVidia chipsets working with WHS.

Before you purchase yet another motherboard, though, I would see if you can borrow one, or do some searches here to find other boards that support your other hardware that people have reported good experiences with.
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Ken, thanks for replying.  Yes I do have the latest bios, and if you look at the drivers download page at asus you will see some downloads for win 2003 server like cool n quiet and some other things, So that is what made me think it would work in WHS.  This board works great when I load xp pro low power about 67w and when it goes into standby it shows 0.5w. If I can only find Win 03 drivers I will be all set, I can get the lan to work and the video, but I need chipset drivers.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:50 PM
  • This could be a function of the NVIDIA drivers. If you search through the forum, there has been mention of problems with these chipsets. You could possibly find more relevant drivers on the NVIDIA  site. Or, alternatively to quote from a previous post:

Since neither Nforce2 or 3 boards have Windows Server 2003 support, you will need to use the Windows XP drivers. However, you will need to install everything manually. Example, DO NOT use the installation setups. Once the Nforce download is complete, it will unzip everything to a folder specified by you. It will start the install. PLEASE cancel the install as the installation programs do not know how to handle WHS.

1. Goto computer management

2. Install the drivers by manually selecting the drivers

Colin

Thursday, February 7, 2008 6:02 PM
  • Almost there, colin your suggestion worked, well almost.  I have no errors in the device manager the xp drivers seem to be working,  but when the WHS goes into standby after connecting from another computer the WHS keeps rebooting.  I wanted the WHS to go into standby and wait untill it was put back online from another computer (wake on lan) any suggestions.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:44 PM