i have a valid key on the back of my computer. RRS feed

• Question

• my windows xp home came preinstalled on my computer. i want to go back to it without reformating.  should i call my oem which is sony to get a copy of my windows xp home?
    Friday, May 5, 2006 4:04 PM

Answers

• devon2:

Yes, I would recommend contacting your OEM if you wish to obtain media in hopes of putting your computer back to the preinstalled factory configuration.  I would also ask them if it is possible to do without reformatting.  In my experience restoring an OEM computer back to the factory setting does wipe the computer of all information.

I hope this helps,

Greg

Friday, May 5, 2006 4:31 PM

All replies

• devon2:

Yes, I would recommend contacting your OEM if you wish to obtain media in hopes of putting your computer back to the preinstalled factory configuration.  I would also ask them if it is possible to do without reformatting.  In my experience restoring an OEM computer back to the factory setting does wipe the computer of all information.

I hope this helps,

Greg

Friday, May 5, 2006 4:31 PM
  • When you say you want to go back to the Windows XP Home version that came pre-installed on your computer I was wondering what you are actually running right now? If you have upgraded your machine to Windows XP Pro you will not be able to restore back to Home without reformatting your hard drive.

hth

dave

Monday, May 8, 2006 5:39 AM
  • thanks, i wanted to restore my comp anyways.  so i guess this gives me the means too.
    Sunday, May 14, 2006 1:03 AM